Mule deer bedding?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BowHusker

Mule deer bedding?

Unread postby BowHusker » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:03 pm

I wanted to get some feedback from the beast community on what you have observed when it comes to mule deer bedding areas and tendencies.

For those who have never hunted them, they are actually quite different compared to whitetails as far as habitat and social interaction with the other deer goes. I'm lucky where I live that I can hunt both trophy whitetails and muleys. I currently have one muley that I chased alot during archery and almost got a shot for my daughter during rifle. However, out of all my years hunting them this is only the second big mature muley that I have found some of his main bedding areas.

I think it is quite difficult to nail down a mature muley bucks primary bedding for many reasons but mainly because of their habitat, (much more open terrain) their roaming tendencies and the fact that many times (especially during the rut and pre rut) they have their herd of does much like a bull elk and they herd them all over making it very difficult to figure out which bed is his. I usually see this begin at the beginning of Oct and have seen it last into December too.

The only other mature muley I've been able to nail down his bedding on was an absolute monster we called "tree trunks". He basically lived in a 4 square mile area which is quite small in my experience of hunting muleys. His main bedding was located in three different draws spread over two properties. The guy who ended up killing him was from Wisconsin and said the buck came out of one of the draws on the other property where he was bedded with his does, the buck was a massive 6x6 with a 34 in spread and bases I couldn't put my hands around, that's why we called him tree trunks. The buck I was after this year isn't to his caliber...yet, but could be special come next year.

Anyway, considering how long I've hunted muleys and how little I've seemed to of been able to locate primary beds I'm just curious to what others here have experienced.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
BowHusker

Re: Mule deer bedding?

Unread postby BowHusker » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:15 pm

Here''s a pic of the buck i chased during archery this year, I'm actually glad i didn't harvest him because he's not that old and i'll be very interested to see what he looks like next year. The only way someone can legally hunt him right now is with a bow as our area is off limits to hunting mule deer with a muzzle loader.

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”