Locating mature/big bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Locating mature/big bucks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 17, 2018 9:47 pm

jporcello wrote:how do yo go about hunting an area where you can not shine, bait, use minerals or hang cameras to locate big bucks? all i can do is scout and hunt. from what the game warden told me the deer i shot this pass season was the biggest he saw all year. mine was a 120" 8pt 4.5 year old. iv heard stories of 150" plus but i just dont see the sign in there that suggests that is still true. my friends who hunt this area say if its brown its going down because of the not so frequent encounters. i read in this thread where guys have said let the 2-3 years old walk so you will have a tag for the 4 year old. besides the obvious of hunting the beds to see whats there does anyone have these same challenges?

We all have those same challenges... We never go in the woods 100% sure there is a giant lurking. Trail cams help, shining helps, but its not the cure all answer some believe it is... The majority of big deer we kill we either did not know about, or got subtle clues. One area gets hunted less, there are some big tracks, a glimpse of the buck, a rumor, just out hunting down the woods till you cross paths... Its not as much of an easy system as some would make it out to be. You gotta get out there and wear out some boots and spend some time sifting thru the clues.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri May 18, 2018 2:46 am

jporcello wrote:how do yo go about hunting an area where you can not shine, bait, use minerals or hang cameras to locate big bucks? all i can do is scout and hunt. from what the game warden told me the deer i shot this pass season was the biggest he saw all year. mine was a 120" 8pt 4.5 year old. iv heard stories of 150" plus but i just dont see the sign in there that suggests that is still true. my friends who hunt this area say if its brown its going down because of the not so frequent encounters. i read in this thread where guys have said let the 2-3 years old walk so you will have a tag for the 4 year old. besides the obvious of hunting the beds to see whats there does anyone have these same challenges?

Then I would suggest learning tracking. Its a game changer and for me has become another addiction. It can be difficult in different terrains and tracks dont tell the size of the rack but they do tell you how large of an animal is in the area.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri May 18, 2018 3:12 am

Most of my pre, post and in-season scouting revolve around tracks. Obviously they don't tell you everything but when its hard to shine and your don't have time/$$$ to run 20 cams on 20 different pieces of public they come in pretty handy.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri May 18, 2018 6:02 am

headgear wrote:Most of my pre, post and in-season scouting revolve around tracks. Obviously they don't tell you everything but when its hard to shine and your don't have time/$$$ to run 20 cams on 20 different pieces of public they come in pretty handy.

I totally agree! Big tracks & high rubs are my are what I'm relying on in certain areas.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Fri May 18, 2018 1:21 pm

tgreeno wrote:
headgear wrote:Most of my pre, post and in-season scouting revolve around tracks. Obviously they don't tell you everything but when its hard to shine and your don't have time/$$$ to run 20 cams on 20 different pieces of public they come in pretty handy.

I totally agree! Big tracks & high rubs are my are what I'm relying on in certain areas.

im definitely going to be paying attention to the tracks from now on. i was looking for the thread Dan was talking aging deer based on rub height and couldnt find it.
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat May 19, 2018 6:47 am

jporcello wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

im definitely going to be paying attention to the tracks from now on. i was looking for the thread Dan was talking aging deer based on rub height and couldnt find it.

Its not as difficult as it may seem... I remember thinking it was pointless to try learn tracking w/o having snow or why track when I have cams w pictures. Have to admit its a never ending learning curve but best part about tracking is they cant lie like other type of sign. Sure big rubs or scrapes are awesome to find but they can also be deceiving. A track is great type of confirmation adn can tell many stories. You could find a spot that has little to no sign around but in your gut its a great area. Finding some big tracks is a game changer. You can even take a picture of a track and referrence it later trying to find the same deer. Seems crazy but can be done.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon May 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:Need to up you odds to higher deer numbers.

As an/my example:
*Alabama hunt in 1994 = 4 deer in 4 days.
*Texas 2007 (40th b-day) = 1 eight pt. & 7 non-antlered, 4 turkey, 2 coyote in 4 days.
* 2010 & 2012 Ohio DIY late season (January ) Muzzle hunt = no scores trying to hang on for big one, however, I saw more deer in each 4 day season than all season in NH.
* Missouri 2012 - stalked and Arrowed 8 point and saw 37 deer total in 5 days, again as many as all season in NH.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

:lol: Alabama hasn’t changed
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue May 22, 2018 1:46 pm

we have the same challenges in Delaware its tough no spotlighting or cameras on certain properties there is a lot of public property here but some properties allow certain things then some don't some have a 15inch spread rule and some don't i'm all for antler point restrictions it lets them grow but thats a whole other debate lol .
some properties i've seen and heard here i think federal . you cant even remove a shed antler from where it lays at . Why? i do not know lol
i'm gonna just try to monitor certain fields just before dark this summer and video it will at least help inventory what pieces have mature bucks at least in the area
its all you can do and just scout with stand on back during the season too red hot sign is tell tale sign to set up especially associated with bedding
mature bucks leave sign rubs waist high to the middle of rub and pretty big scrapes but in my opinion it all has to be in close proximity to bedding
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Tue May 22, 2018 2:57 pm

TheBuckPsych wrote:

we have the same challenges in Delaware its tough no spotlighting or cameras on certain properties there is a lot of public property here but some properties allow certain things then some don't some have a 15inch spread rule and some don't i'm all for antler point restrictions it lets them grow but thats a whole other debate lol .
some properties i've seen and heard here i think federal . you cant even remove a shed antler from where it lays at . Why? i do not know lol
i'm gonna just try to monitor certain fields just before dark this summer and video it will at least help inventory what pieces have mature bucks at least in the area
its all you can do and just scout with stand on back during the season too red hot sign is tell tale sign to set up especially associated with bedding
mature bucks leave sign rubs waist high to the middle of rub and pretty big scrapes but in my opinion it all has to be in close proximity to bedding

on the wma we can have cameras but on the federal land we can not :think: that what i did last season scouted hot sign and set up. i did find a lot of beds this post season and with planned entry routes i hope to have a lot more encounters and God willing another buck or two in the freezer and on the wall
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:10 pm

jporcello - tough if u can’t shine or have cameras. Age is TRICKY to determine without history. Just watch a How old is this buck on social media! People loose their minds arguing! After 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 it is very difficult

What state are you in?

It is also very hard for us MidWesterners to relate to the hunting in the South and East... I’m guessing vastly different than what I’m used to.

Ur best bet is to hunt sign.... in higher pressure brown it is down situation I like to look at access points and then find something HARD to access to start my search for older deer = wet, bluffs, longest hike, thickest stuff, or large areas of cattails, CRP, marsh grass with minimal trees... those are often areas u find deer with age
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:39 pm

big bucks make sign find the biggest sign then comb the area out for the best of the best bedding. it takes alot of work to locate a true beast, but once you finally find that buck you will really start clicking just like anything the more you do it the better you will get it. when i scout i am very methodical i take my time and follow deer trails searching for every subtle clue. sometimes you can be just one ridge off from what your looking for. but consistently finding a big one is defiantly earned. i know its not possible for everybody but im guessing i spend at least 20 hours a week working on locating big bucks and preparing myself for every season i even scout during the season. i honestly think the most important thing is having the will to do it and confidence in yourself to see it too the end and never stop learning. every trip out you should be getting something out of it no matter how small. make small goals and complete them.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:04 am

Bucky wrote:jporcello - tough if u can’t shine or have cameras. Age is TRICKY to determine without history. Just watch a How old is this buck on social media! People loose their minds arguing! After 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 it is very difficult

What state are you in?

It is also very hard for us MidWesterners to relate to the hunting in the South and East... I’m guessing vastly different than what I’m used to.

Ur best bet is to hunt sign.... in higher pressure brown it is down situation I like to look at access points and then find something HARD to access to start my search for older deer = wet, bluffs, longest hike, thickest stuff, or large areas of cattails, CRP, marsh grass with minimal trees... those are often areas u find deer with age

I hunt in SE Louisiana. iv been hunting from what i see from sign mostly rub height and now ill be looking for more tracks and looking at the size
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:17 am

Why is it so hard to kill a mature buck?

1) Not that many around for any given area of “normal” land...meaning land we don’t have complete control over a thousand acres.

2) They always seem to live in places that don’t look like good hunting. My first mature buck, my brother laughed at me for hunting there. It’s hard to hunt where you don’t see a lot of sign and doesn’t look like a big buck hideout.

3) I don’t think the really big bucks leave much sign or else they’d already be dead.

4) For most of us, it’s pure luck....which means being prepared when that 1 in a 100,000 opportunity comes along.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:43 pm

My favorite way is to ride around on old logging trails or back roads on the atv. I look for tracks that may be a buck. Most of the time if you follow there track that crosses the road or trail there’s usually a rub. Then I’ll go and track them back to their bedding areas. This winter spring has been amazing I found more big woods bedding areas this spring winter then all the years since joining the beast, looking for big woods bedding areas.

Now it’s time to start going back to hang a up cams.

Im surprised how small and low rubs are and the big bucks that run them. What I’ve noticed is the big boys lay less sign down as they get older the young bucks lay the sign down. If that buck lives to 6 plus years there might not even be any significant sign to go off but if you watch them from when there young and follow his rubs you’ll be able to go back to his old sign and more then likely he’ll be still be in that bedding area.

Tracks, rubs and trail cams help locate the big ones you really never know how big a buck is till you get a pic of him.
Bush whacker

Unread postby Bush whacker » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 pm

I like finding a good track and following it. It’s not always successful. I was following a good track and have the feeling a I was pushing a buck for some ways.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”