What was your biggest AH HA hunting moment?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

What was your biggest AH HA hunting moment?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:15 am

Curious – what single thing or two you fellow Beast hunters would say was your AH HA moment in deer hunting? In other words, what do you feel is your single breakthrough that changed the game for you and made you a more successful hunter?

For me, it began when I stopped trying to apply what was working for others and starting looking to myself for solutions. Now I am not saying close your mind to what others say, as I have learned a bunch on sites like this one and from many better hunters then I. In my early years I was the sponge and even had the audacity to pick up the phone and call some pretty well know folks out of the blue…. A few of these turned into friendships and I was blessed by a lot of wisdom for sure. However, at some point, I had to move past gaining knowledge and start applying it to my situations. I had to take risks, make errors and learn from my efforts (emphasis on learn) This forced me to try things that some would consider out-side the box and others flat out told me wouldn’t work. I started to look past “the obvious” and look for the what ifs. I began to look for different approaches and to try things that others were not. For me my mantra has become: Flexibility + Effort = Success. Its one of the reasons I frequent this site so much as some of you are doing things I had never considered – until now 

Curious to hear what other Beast Hunters say…..
Last edited by DaveT1963 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dewey

Re: What was your biggest AH HA hunting moment?

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:26 am

Easy. Watching the Marsh Bucks video.

Everything I seen over the years marsh hunting suddenly came together. It totally changed how I approach areas I hunted my entire life. Now instead of seeing just does and young bucks more often than not I now see good bucks or am at least in the vicinity where they live given the sign I come across.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:48 am

This year my ah ha moment was when I started hunting 100% mobile with the lone wolf stand and sticks. Years past I would have 5 or 6 pre set stands I would rotate thru all season. Being mobile and getting into fresh sets improved my hunting especially on public land. I can see it getting better has I improve my scouting and learn the land better. Most spots I went in blind.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:51 am

Your mantra is spot on Dave! I pride myself with "making it work" when it comes to tough set ups. And you're right... Pushing the limits and thinking outside the box is what helps a hunter learn.

As far as my AH HA moments, the most important one was my first beast style encounter a few years ago. Tcjohnsonjacks and I were set up on a buck in a place that we most likely would never dream of bow hunting. He was the brains behind this set (I was filming him) and it was on a slew edge that gets hit hard by pheasant hunters all year long. All the good "deer woods" were on the other side. We had a deer come off that tiny high spot in the tails right at last light. Tyler found it cyber scouting and it was nearly unnoticeable in the field. He sloshed around but hung up before we could see him. Unsuccessful that day but it was a huge confidence booster.

Another example would be the first bedding area that I found that I KNEW was solid buck bedding. It was obvious the sign was left from bucks that bed and stage there... there was absolutely no other reason for a deer to be there other than escaping pressure.

WSalzNC

Unread postby WSalzNC » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:58 am

What a great discussion topic. I'm right in the midst of many a-ha moments, having joined the HB about 2 months ago. Some serious lightbulbs went off during my two recent trips to a nearby public game land. First was a hunt where I pre-scouted about a 250 acre hilly area based on what I've learned here-- looking on the leeward side using Topo maps. Asked for feedback on here, marked points where bucks should be bedded given the wind, then went into the spot, bumped and saw the form of a deer slip away when I was getting close, and found beds right where they should have been, along with bigger rubs than I've ever seen in my life! Then 2 days ago went up there and started walking toward another map-scouted spot, and I jumped a nice buck 100 yards from the road, 150 yards from the main parking area bedded in thick CRP in a crop field that I guess everyone drives and walks right past, just like you guys said! Needless to say, I'm leaving work early on Wednesday to go back and kill that buck. Wind will be different, but I found other beds nearby for other winds.

^^That point right there on wind-centric beds is one of the coolest things I have learned so far-- if you find a bed backed up to deadfall or heavy cover, on a hilly point, or in brush sticking out into a field or marsh, you can safely guess in which wind a buck will bed there!

I have read HB almost daily, and I must have listened to Dan's WiredtoHunt podcast interviews at least 5 times now, and I pick up a little more each time. As I think about my upcoming public land hunt on Wednesday, I keep picturing Dan crawling up to that 180s buck bedded under the willow tree and shooting him with a shotgun!

One of the coolest things that I have become aware of is, just how little I know... there is still so much to learn. I can always learn more, walk slower, work on being more focused and prepared. Taking a contrarian view and doing the opposite of what the "herd' is doing can pay off big. I consider my two recent scouting trips huge successes despite not having killed anything yet. I must be doing something right-- I haven't seen another hunter either time I've been there (including opening day) so I must be in the right "beast" spots!!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:00 am

I didn't think it was possible to setup close to bedded deer without getting busted, but the first time I had a buck walk out following the script made me a huge believer. Since then, I have had deer walk near me/past me within 30 yards WHILE hanging my stand.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:02 am

In the early 90s I pedaled to Blockbuster to rent a Drury video. I can't remember the exact video title, but they had some great clips where they demonstrated thermal activity. Really got me thinking about how scent moved through the landscape and how deer moved through it. I spent most of that summer observing thermal changes through the day and reevaluating my hunting areas.

alfsisaiah

Unread postby alfsisaiah » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:08 am

My biggest AHA moment! Understanding that entry and exit strategies are top priority to your success. Hunting very small parcels I have methodically planned to the step how I enter and exit stands. You can have the best stand location in the world but without a way to access it without spooking deer it will never consistently produce. Some stands can only be accessed in in-climate weather days. Even though they are in great locations and it is very tempting to hunt them you have to weigh risk vs reward.

Overall message: when you do not have unlimited stand options your entry and exit strategies need to be spot on. Sometimes studying a map of 14 acres for hours if thats what it takes. Or you will burn them out very fast.

Goals: dont spook deer going in, dont spook deer heading out, dont spook deer ever. Success rate = 1000% better
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:12 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:In the early 90s I pedaled to Blockbuster to rent a Drury video. I can't remember the exact video title, but they had some great clips where they demonstrated thermal activity. Really got me thinking about how scent moved through the landscape and how deer moved through it. I spent most of that summer observing thermal changes through the day and reevaluating my hunting areas.

Good point. The use of milkweed did this for me as well. Understanding air currents is critical if you want to have any consistent success.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:16 am

I was blown away by Marsh bucks and hill country, but hunt neither of those terrains routinely. It just made sense when Dan explained bed hunting, but I had never really looked for beds. The real eye opener for me was touring Daves farm on one of Dans scouting work shops. There wasnt any real sign. Dan sits in tree's I would never think of(limited cover, and or low to ground in some cases). Same with Dans spots he showed us in the marsh, no obvious big buck sign. You just have to sit a lot of different areas until you find ones that produce.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:22 am

alfsisaiah wrote:My biggest AHA moment! Understanding that entry and exit strategies are top priority to your success. Hunting very small parcels I have methodically planned to the step how I enter and exit stands. You can have the best stand location in the world but without a way to access it without spooking deer it will never consistently produce. Some stands can only be accessed in in-climate weather days. Even though they are in great locations and it is very tempting to hunt them you have to weigh risk vs reward.

Overall message: when you do not have unlimited stand options your entry and exit strategies need to be spot on. Sometimes studying a map of 14 acres for hours if thats what it takes. Or you will burn them out very fast.

Goals: dont spook deer going in, dont spook deer heading out, dont spook deer ever. Success rate = 1000% better

This is one of my biggest struggles right now...Almost to the point where it keeps me from hunting...I think, there's no way I can get in quietly or undetected. Whether its in hill country on a cold morning when the leaves crunch, or if it's in thick brush....it's tough. I'm also not to the level of where I know exactly where bedding is.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:29 am

I'd say learning how important scouting is would be my pick.
Then first time sit importance, mobile, timing, importance of wind, and hunt where the bucks ARE, rather than where I WANT them to be.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:31 am

I started the same thread last year. ;)

Here are more replies to add:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26386&p=342566

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:40 am

Dewey wrote:I started the same thread last year. ;)

Here are more replies to add:

I knew I liked your posts for a reason.... Guess I should have searched first and just brought this thread back up.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26386&p=342566

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:02 am

No problem. So much stuff floating around here it's bound to come up again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”