Matching bucks in person with trail cam pics?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: Matching bucks in person with trail cam pics?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:12 pm

Sam-Im looking for what you mentioned last. Ill keep looking but I dont see it yet. Ill check my other pics too.

Motivated-Thats a great idea. I may get a night photo of the rack, same distance from the cam, at the same angle. Geez sounds like somebodys obsessed (me).

I want to say this is the same buck. Although, I would be somewhat surprised he didnt look bigger in person if its the same buck. The last trailcam photo ever of this buck was 1-2 days before I killed the other. He's has been on cam every couple days for about 2 years now. It seemd like a huge coincidence to have one go missing 1 day after killing his clone. It got me wondering if he's the same buck. No pictures since, hasnt been missing ever in couple years. Its been over a month now. The buck in the photo is 4.5, he almost died last winter and lots LOTS of weight during Jan and Feb. I didnt think he was going to survive but he did. His antlers are about the same as last year, due to overall health I would guess.

This is high pressure SE MI, we dont get the flocks of bucks like some places. Usually pretty easy to keep tabs on all of them. I photo bomb 25 acres, so I dont miss a whole lot.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:17 pm

SamPotter wrote:Also-in the picture of the dead buck where you are holding him you can see that the brow tine tips curve in towards each other. The trail cam buck's are straight up

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Agreed. Also look at where the tips of the brows end up in relation to the main beams. Cam bucks are shorter than dead buck's.

I'm pretty confident.

I'd take pics though... Match cam pics. If you have a lot of them it shouldn't be hard to do.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:27 am

Couple more pics. More milar angle, and another that shows some curling up of main beam tips, especially on left.

Im starting to believe same buck. Only thing holding me back was I thought he'd look bigger in person. Not unhappy at all, just surprised.

Ill take some pics when I can to try to have a more confident match.

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: UPDATE!!! Matching bucks in person with trail cam pics?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:36 pm

I think I know the answer. I took one of my swivel bolt trail cam mounts and screwed into the skull plate to pose for pics at the perfect angle. I checked against several pics. I can't make them match no matter how hard I tried....my buck killed is much smaller.
I'm happy because I killed a second nice buck this season with this one , but neither were my target bucks. He is the same shape and made me think it was him when I shot. Mine has bigger brows but the live one has bigger everything else. I've never seen two bucks same year so similar in shape. Thanks to those who gave opinions.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:48 pm

The very first thing I noticed was one had curved brow and the other didn't. I agreed with SP and Bucky before I even saw the last response.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”