Matching bucks in person with trail cam pics?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Buckfever
500 Club

Re: Matching bucks in person with trail cam pics?

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:43 am

I see your point. That looks like the same deer to me.

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:05 pm

It's the same deer. One reason is the tuft of fur on the chest. The curve on the tine looks a little different, but it's because it's being seen at a different angle.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:11 pm

Take a night flash pic of your buck with the trailcam. The night flash tends to smooth out distinction on the rack and can appear to add or takeaway mass on the rack depending on the distance the deer is from the camera. I agree there a some slight distinct features on you buck missing from the trail cam buck but the lighting and night flash can have that effect... Might be a neat experiment :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:12 pm

Spysar wrote:It's the same deer. One reason is the tuft of fur on the chest. The curve on the tine looks a little different, but it's because it's being seen at a different angle.

I'm with Spy on this one, the brisket is very pronounce in the picture and on the dead deer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:27 pm

After looking at over a million trailcam pics.... 100% different buck IMO

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:06 pm

The brisket really wants me to say it is but the ear and some slight differences in rack make me think it's different.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:10 pm

Spysar wrote:It's the same deer. One reason is the tuft of fur on the chest. The curve on the tine looks a little different, but it's because it's being seen at a different angle.

Lots of you guys are seeing the same as me. Here is another pic. It shows some curve of the main beams. The story behind this buck is the biggest reason I REALLY want to know. If I can find his skull out back Ill age the teeth to help. I really know the deer on trail cam.

This pic might show the curved G2 guys mentioned, and the slight curve of main beams by the tips...????

Last edited by johndeere506 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:14 pm

BTW Im very thankful for all the opinions. We have some experts here.

I looked at the face shape, tine curves, chest fur clump and color, ear and nose similarities, etc all while comparing to every other buck on cam. The ONLY thing holding me back from saying same deer is rack size, but I have LOTS of 2 yr old trail cam pics that look HUGE on darkness trailcam, and just barely good in daylight.

I have other pics if someone needs another angle. Its just a deer, but this situation has me really curious.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:15 pm

First instinct says same buck.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:26 pm

kurt wrote:The brisket really wants me to say it is but the ear and some slight differences in rack make me think it's different.

x2.. after taking a hard look and having similar results with night time pics making the buck look bigger, may well be same deer.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:47 pm

The most telltale difference between the 2 bucks is the dead buck has a little bump or high spot on the left main beam where a G4 wanted to sprout up. It is subtle, but clear. On the trail can pic it is definitely not there. This reminds me of those cartoons where you are supposed to find the 9 differences between 2 drawings. The good news is the other one is still out there!

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:04 pm

SamPotter wrote:The most telltale difference between the 2 bucks is the dead buck has a little bump or high spot on the left main beam where a G4 wanted to sprout up. It is subtle, but clear. On the trail can pic it is definitely not there. This reminds me of those cartoons where you are supposed to find the 9 differences between 2 drawings. The good news is the other one is still out there!

Dang Sam thats a good eye you have there. Im surprised that was noticed in the pic. The spot is actually like chiped off section, maybe from fighting. The back of it where it meets unbroken antler looks higher because of it. Maybe it happened after the trailcam pic, or just isnt noticable. The only time Ive seen a similat break was on a brow tine of a smaller buck. It had chipped off/sheared off, Im guessing hard rubbing or fighting. Not sure if this changes your mind at all.
Im not trying to talk you into it, just explaining what I know to see if it matters.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:18 pm

mt008 wrote:Take a night flash pic of your buck with the trailcam. The night flash tends to smooth out distinction on the rack and can appear to add or takeaway mass on the rack depending on the distance the deer is from the camera. I agree there a some slight distinct features on you buck missing from the trail cam buck but the lighting and night flash can have that effect... Might be a neat experiment :)

This is actually a good idea. I know trailcam pics deer are usually moving, even if only a little. I think that movement contributes to looking like more mass, and less clarity like you said. Ive shot several that were like this, but the racks were more unique and there was no question same bucks. This guy is tougher, clean typical 8pt. I have aother pic Ill post that may help too.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:37 pm

I have an acute fascination with antlers...
2 more subtle, but clear differences: on the dead buck where the base of the G2 on the right antler meets the beam (closest to the brow tine) it is at a right angle. On the trail can buck there is a gentle curve at that joint. Also-in the picture of the dead buck where you are holding him you can see that the brow tine tips curve in towards each other. The trail cam buck's are straight up like the referee's arms are every time MSU scores a winning touchdown this year...

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:00 pm

Use a digital camera and using it's screen line up the main beams of your dead buck exactly the same as on your trail cam pic, using features of the rack as reference points. Your current digital pic is close to the same angle but not quite the same--too low. This should make it more clear.

The trail cam pic has main beams in the same plane as the camera and dead buck pic does not.

Hopefully this helps and makes it more obvious. I thought they were the same buck, but there are others here WAY more experienced than me.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”