Keeping a Positive Attitude

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Keeping a Positive Attitude

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:44 am

I think a lot of hunters get caught up in scouting, hunting, prep work, big bucks, trail cameras, etc. The list goes on and on. I just want to stress how important and overlooked keeping a positive attitude throughout the season can be.

I think one of the biggest factors in putting yourself in a position to kill a big buck is to keep a positive attitude. It's fairly easy to get down in the dumps when you go 3, 4, 5 sits without even seeing a single deer and your on public forums or social media and seeing all these other hunters put down big bucks. Keeping a positive attitude thoughout the season will not only keep you on stand longer but will give you extra boost and drive to go out and try and learn new things.

Just remember it takes 30 seconds for that big buck to walk in and make that mistake. They call it hunting and not killing for a reason. I had an amazing season, largely in part of keeping a positive attitude. Just remember, if your sitting here reading this with a buck tag still in your pocket, don't give up. If you want that buck, go out and get it. Forget the negative things, stop with the excuses. Nothing is stopping you. Keep a positive attitude and go get it done!

cbay
500 Club

Re: Keeping a Positive Attitude

Unread postby cbay » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:49 am

Great post
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:51 am

reminds me of the old sheriff saying "attitude is everything"

got to stay positive and keep grinding on it can happen at any second

good write up curt!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:59 am

I have heard this a lot and am starting to put some stock into it but can i ask a question to play devils advocate. If i sitting on stand quiet as can be a deer doesnt know my attitude does he? A deer doesnt know my attitude if im sittin on stand down in the dumps or as happy as can be it doesnt make that spot any better does it? As long as im on stand what does my attitude matter?

Now please dont take this post the wrong way im not tryn to be a smart a$! Just made me wonder

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:11 pm

Good advice and I see this in all the great deer hunters.

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:12 pm

brkissl82 wrote:I have heard this a lot and am starting to put some stock into it but can i ask a question to play devils advocate. If i sitting on stand quiet as can be a deer doesnt know my attitude does he? A deer doesnt know my attitude if im sittin on stand down in the dumps or as happy as can be it doesnt make that spot any better does it? As long as im on stand what does my attitude matter?

Now please dont take this post the wrong way im not tryn to be a smart a$! Just made me wonder

Not taking it wrong at all...I feel as though you make good point. Obviously a deer doesn't know what your attitude is when your hunting..HOWEVER.

I can tell you how I am when I don't keep a positive attitude...

I don't want to sit on stand as long as I normally would because I'm having negative thoughts

Having a negative attitude and being pissy usually go hand in hand for me. When I'm pissy I tend to break equipment and make noises when setting up, etc...its just a downward spiral.

I don't want to go out as much as I would normally (rather watch the packer game, etc.)

I sleep more on stand/less attentive

Less confidence in my setup which in turns leads me to leaving early or ^ (Sleeping)

When i go on a streak of not seeing deer I will start getting jealous of others having success and then start thinking about how much hunting public land sucks...blah blah blah. My family does not own any property...I don't have any money to buy property. Theres nothing you can do about it, but work harder. That is speaking for myself.

I think too many people start making excuses when they are in a slump and that won't ever get you anywhere. I always think to myself...there are so many others in this world that have it far worse than I do...I'm healthy and physically capable to do things many others can't. I'm going to make the best of it.

Positive thoughts often times yield positive results believe it or not, I know it works for me.
Last edited by Czabs on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:13 pm

brkissl82 wrote:I have heard this a lot and am starting to put some stock into it but can i ask a question to play devils advocate. If i sitting on stand quiet as can be a deer doesnt know my attitude does he? A deer doesnt know my attitude if im sittin on stand down in the dumps or as happy as can be it doesnt make that spot any better does it? As long as im on stand what does my attitude matter?

True, but I notice that I (personally) second guess my placement, fidget and am less attentive when I am aggravated or frustrated than when I am in a good mood.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Yep, great post!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
slowpoke69

Unread postby slowpoke69 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:25 pm

I couldn't agree more. The down side is that i do normally end up with a negative attitude. Especially this time of year. This year I'm trying to change that.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:30 pm

Good post. Really has me reflecting.

Bbostrom

Unread postby Bbostrom » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:30 pm

Very true In hunting and in life great post!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Great post Czabs. I tell guys this all the time and staying positive is one of my strong points. I truly believe if I don't kill one today that tomorrow is the day and look forward to the new adventure.

My favorite quote is....."The Urge To Quit Is Always The HIGHEST Right Before You SUCCEED"

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:19 pm

I have missed opportunities because I had myself convinced it wasn't going to happen, and when it indeed did happen, I was not mentally/physically prepared to make the shot.

I have also killed on some split second opportunities because I had myself convinced it was going to happen and when it indeed did happen, I was mentally/physically prepared to make the shot.

I won't even go into all the stories of spooking deer while climbing down too early, or bumping deer at first light on the way in because I let myself drag in the morning due to low morale, or the countless 'what ifs' due to sitting on the couch or staying in bed…

But yes, even all things equal while being on stand, I believe a positive attitude is huge.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:26 pm

Czabs wrote:

Not taking it wrong at all...I feel as though you make good point. Obviously a deer doesn't know what your attitude is when your hunting..HOWEVER.

I don't want to sit on stand as long as I normally would because I'm having negative thoughts

Having a negative attitude and being pissy usually go hand in hand for me. When I'm pissy I tend to break equipment and make noises when setting up, etc...its just a downward spiral.

I don't want to go out as much as I would normally (rather watch the packer game, etc.)

Less confidence in my setup which in turns leads me to leaving early or ^ (Sleeping)

When i go on a streak of not seeing deer I will start getting jealous of others having success and then start thinking about how much hunting public land sucks...blah blah blah. My family does not own any property...I don't have any money to buy property. Theres nothing you can do about it, but work harder. That is speaking for myself.

I think too many people start making excuses when they are in a slump and that won't ever get you anywhere. I always think to myself...there are so many others in this world that have it far worse than I do...I'm healthy and physically capable to do things many others can't. I'm going to make the best of it.

Positive thoughts often times yield positive results believe it or not, I know it works for me.

I'm guilty of all these in one form or another, but when you have gone 2 years and over 50 days on stand without an opportunity at a mature buck, you start to question your abilities. It's only normal, you're only human after all. Positive thoughts can only take you so far, skill, optimum habitat, quality deer, time and yes a little luck is needed to be a consistent big buck killer. Each individual needs to know when to say when. When hunting becomes more like a job than a hobby, it's time to take a step back and remember why you invest so much time, sweat and money into your passion. You have chosen to pursue arguably the most difficult animal to harvest that walks this land, a mature Whitetail buck. This challenge is what drives most of us here. Some do not have the skills, quality of deer or time to be successful consistently on mature bucks and to compare ones self to others here on this site is being unrealistic. I know, I am guilty of it. Am I making excuses? Not at all, just being realistic. I will never be a big buck serial killer, but that isn't going to stop me from being the best hunter I can be.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Zona wrote:
Czabs wrote:

I'm guilty of all these in one form or another, but when you have gone 2 years and over 50 days on stand without an opportunity at a mature buck, you start to question your abilities. It's only normal, you're only human after all. Positive thoughts can only take you so far, skill, optimum habitat, quality deer, time and yes a little luck is needed to be a consistent big buck killer. Each individual needs to know when to say when. When hunting becomes more like a job than a hobby, it's time to take a step back and remember why you invest so much time, sweat and money into your passion. You have chosen to pursue arguably the most difficult animal to harvest that walks this land, a mature Whitetail buck. This challenge is what drives most of us here. Some do not have the skills, quality of deer or time to be successful consistently on mature bucks and to compare ones self to others here on this site is being unrealistic. I know, I am guilty of it. Am I making excuses? Not at all, just being realistic. I will never be a big buck serial killer, but that isn't going to stop me from being the best hunter I can be.

Agree I'm a roller coaster realist! I'd be fooling myself if I could be positive all season, makes success that much sweeter! Take the small victories and build on it

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”