Keeping a Positive Attitude

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Motivated
500 Club

Re: Keeping a Positive Attitude

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:14 am

Great topic and great responses!

Bear with me, as I'm going around the mountain the long way...

After college was not sure what I really wanted to do with my career. I decided that I would likely work for 40 years, so I would experiment with the first two years to figure out what really made me happy. I took a full commission sales job because it would teach me persistence and a valuable skill in communication. I was promoted to manager and my duties changed as well. But I used these years to really make me think about what kinds of tasks I enjoyed and what gave me a sense of satisfaction. In that time I interviewed a lot of people in a lot of different types of jobs and asked them what their day was like and what they liked and didn't like about their work. After a period of time I figured myself out, and one day I interviewed the right person about their job. Everything clicked, and then I went to grad school and I've been happy ever since.

This was a process that took time--two years really. It really wasn't fun most of the time, but I forced myself to adopt a positive attitude. And the plan worked; I am in a much better place now. I also learned about failure despite a massive effort. And persistence. I still remember a time when I didn't get paid two months in a row, despite working my tail off! A couple months after that I was promoted.

I bring this up for several reasons. Many of us, myself included, are learning new skills that may take a couple of years to pay off. I am constantly telling myself that this takes time, so give it time. I will likely be hunting for 30 years, so I might as well give it two seasons to figure things out and do things the right way. I might be in for a couple painful seasons but I know I can grind it out with a positive attitude and a smile on my face.

I'm very happy that I did take the time to learn persistence in the face of failure. It has become very difficult for me to make a decision to give up. I just cannot do it most of the time and be happy with my effort.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:24 am

yep you have to believe in your set up , scouting, and most importantly yourself.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:58 am

Motivated wrote:I will likely be hunting for 30 years, so I might as well give it two seasons to figure things out and do things the right way. I might be in for a couple painful seasons but I know I can grind it out with a positive attitude and a smile on my face.

WOW.... ^^^^this, this right here^^^^ great way to articulate the mindset I came to this season after NONE of my original goals were met.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:41 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Spysar wrote:It's in my profile thread. Nothing is more important than a positive attitude. Nothing.

Are you positive you would be happy only hunting NY:)

I'm still happy to be hunting, even NY. Lately it's been tough on the attitude. I've been still sitting in stands in NY and Mass. I'm averaging 1 deer seen for every three or four sits. I still think ones around the corner every time or I wouldn't still be going. I sat today.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:57 pm

Good topic and I can relate to many of the posts already made. I used to be easy to get upset or frustrated when I expected success but lately I've realized there is a lot to learn and try to enjoy every moment out in the woods. I used to look at close encounters as a failure but now I look at them as a learning experience. What did I do wrong and what can I do better. I attribute that completely to this site and the supportive group we have here.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:27 pm

headgear wrote:100% agree a never give up attitude and confidence in your ability and setups are huge. I also want to echo some of the things Ed is saying, last few years have been rough going in the bigwoods and sometimes the odds are just stacked against you. No doubt I should try and travel to where the deer numbers are better but a young fam and work make that hard right now so I will just keep plugging away.

The more scouting and work you put into it the more you can build that confidence up. Even if you screw up royally you can build on that by having a positive attitude, don't look at bucks that got away as a failure, just a learning experience. Take pride in knowing you were on that buck and nearly wrapped a tag around him, most hunters rarely get that chance.

You nailed it. Confidence breeds a good attitude. I'm more confident now in my abilities as a deer hunter than ever before. That's what keeps me positive. Fresh sits at places I've never been keep me enthusiastic about going even when things haven't been going my way.

Keep scouting, keep hunting, keep an open mind! It will happen.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:49 am

Great discussion. Related to Ed's thoughts, I think another thing to do which helps me immensely with the attitude thing is to be realistic with your own expectations and goals.

Like Ed, I've got a young family. I have a little more direct access to better hunting opportunities, but also have a 50+ hour a week job as a consulting engineer for a small company. I want to be a part of our ownership group in the not so distant future and am on track to do that, but it means sacrifices in other things.

I'm not at a stage in my life where trophy buck hunting can be a primary goal, especially on public land, if I want to be the father/husband I want to be or accomplish the career goals I would like to. So, I am realistic about my goals. I want to get some meat in the freezer, I want to use my time in the woods productively for that purpose, and I want to use my time in the woods for the mental break I need. I also want to maximize the time available to me to improve my mature buck hunting skills.

I have not prioritized 100's of hours of scouting at this time, so I know the liklihood of my success at killing a mature buck is not what some of the other guys here have worked to achieve. I'm just fine with that, as I have made other goals that inhibit that. If I was sitting on my but watching hunting shows instead of putting that work in, I'd be down on myself. I'm not, and for me it helps me to keep a better attitude through the season and leading up to the season. It's all about enjoying my time and learning. As long as I'm doing those things, I stay pretty upbeat. If I get lazy or make a decision that I am even questioning in the moment and it costs me (like sleeping in, or not going as deep as I need to or not making a move I know I should), then I get down. Otherwise, it's hunting, I'd be happy watching squirrells!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:11 am

Spysar wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:
Spysar wrote:It's in my profile thread. Nothing is more important than a positive attitude. Nothing.

Are you positive you would be happy only hunting NY:)

I'm still happy to be hunting, even NY. Lately it's been tough on the attitude. I've been still sitting in stands in NY and Mass. I'm averaging 1 deer seen for every three or four sits. I still think ones around the corner every time or I wouldn't still be going. I sat today.

Thanks for you honesty.
This is why so many will shoot first opportunity, sometimes me included...

I stopped shooting a few deer a year back in 2008 and passed at least 15-20 deer per season waiting for a 2.5 or older.

I got him (2.5) in 2008 and go about every other year with tag soup holding out for the big one. I'll be honest, I like killing deer and eating Venison so my patience wears out and pop something to make me feel like a hunter again...

Got either a gr8 2.5 or a decent 3.5 in 2013. Nothing in 2015. Limited time this season so I shot what I thought was a 2.5 and ended up being a spike. The 2.5 was with him and never saw the spike until I stood over him - opps.

I'll have more patience next season ( I think)!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”