Deer wanting to keep warm - what temps?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Deer wanting to keep warm - what temps?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:48 am

At what temp range do you all find deer in areas to keep warm? Is it typically for bedding only or on their travel routes as well? Does it need to be cold for any length of time before they start seeking shelter for warmth?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Crazinamatese

Re: Deer wanting to keep warm - what temps?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:55 am

Im not really sure. I used to see deer herd up when food became more scarce, in that case they will travel to feed and stay real close to that food source all winter. Wherever the food is, is where the deer will be. Other than that, leeward edges facing the sun are usually good areas during winter. I hope that answers our question.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:56 pm

I don't see travel change in relation to cold outside of distance traveled. When the temps plummet they'll bed closer to food to conserve energy. Movement may change in high winds to stay out of cold windy conditions but not just cold in my experience.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:33 pm

Is that 20 degrees, 10, 0? I read about this but i never really knew or saw at what level they bed and stay in places that are warmer On purpose.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:50 pm

Here in WI, it takes some brutal conditions for deer to go into survival mode. Im talking temps at -0 with wind chills in the negative digits for a week or two straight, and 2 feet of snow. We have had those kinda winters here and it beats up the deer herd, especially up in the northern parts where there isn't too much agriculture for them to browse on. For the most part, as I mentioned before, those leeward areas are usually key when it comes to bedding during the cold winters. Especially if their is an abundant food source nearby.
Last edited by Crazinamatese on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:54 pm

I think they start seeking winter shelter when the snow is deep with extreme cold. I would say 20 and below. Our area the winter of 2013 the deer migrated to a river bottom 4 mikes away with lots of pines for thermal cover. This area the deer don't usually migrate to wintering areas but that was the worst winter in history for southern Michigan. Also like already mentioned I've seen lots of bedding in winter on south facing hillsides so they're in the sun for warmth.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:54 pm

Here in WI the winter severity index is based on number of days below zero degrees and snow cover over 18" as either one or especially a combination of the two really stresses them. Obviously we rarely reach both in southern WI but in the north it can be very common during normal winters.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:39 pm

I think sustained temps of low 20s and snow will yard them up.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:58 pm

Last winter I came across doe beds in a location that seemed to picked for sunshine and thermal energy. We only go down to 10-15 degrees in my area.

It is interesting to observe the natural world. Winds from winter push animals to the leeward side and get a double reward from sunshine. And likewise in summer, the hot southern wind directs them to the cool northern facing hills.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:46 pm

I would think it is different in each area. In the south it could be temps in the 20s and in the north maybe 20 below. I find deer seeking more shelter when it is cold with a strong north wind. Cold temps do have affects on deer but I believe cold temps with strong winds have more so. That's when they seem to change bedding locations. Maybe bedding lower or bedding with something blocking the strong wind.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:02 pm

It seems around here the low 30's gets them moving good....Low 20's it seems like the bigger deer start getting seen

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”