back tags..again (wi hunters)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Re: back tags..again (wi hunters)

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:34 am

If I hunt without a shirt on (lord help us), where am i supposed to put my backtag? :lol:

Seriously though I do not think it is right that I am forced to display my Full Name, Address, and Date of Birth on my back for all to see.

The backtag rule, if you truly follow it to the letter of the law, is extremely impractical once you start talking about putting on or taking off layers of clothing or wearing a backpack, or carrying a tree stand on your back.

I am somewhat surprised that some people want to keep the back tags. I am convinced that most of those people don't really hunt that much.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:19 am

hunter_mike wrote:
Seriously though I do not think it is right that I am forced to display my Full Name, Address, and Date of Birth on my back for all to see.

That is what bothers me the most. A few years back I lost my back tag in one of my prime hunting spots. Looked hard but never came across it. If somebody else found it they now have my info and know where I was hunting. Call me paranoid but that bothers me.

Most good people would contact you to return your tags if they found them but unfortunately not all people think that way.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:07 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
FRH wrote:If they don't want to get rid of the law at least make changes to it. I would be all for having to wear it on public land but when your on private property you shouldn't be required to wear it, maybe just have it with you or proof some proof that you do have a license.

why on public but not private? how is the hunting any different?

I say that going off of their argument of being able to take down a back tag number if someone sees a violation. I don't think they should have backtags but if there was a compromise to get this thing going i think this would be a step in the right direction. If i'm hunting private land that no one else has permission to be on what good does the backtag do? If they want to keep it for the revenue that it generates i think a fair compromise would be to wear it on public land but not private.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:10 pm

Dewey wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:

That is what bothers me the most. A few years back I lost my back tag in one of my prime hunting spots. Looked hard but never came across it. If somebody else found it they now have my info and know where I was hunting. Call me paranoid but that bothers me.

Most good people would contact you to return your tags if they found them but unfortunately not all people think that way.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

A few years back i had a treestand that was right on the ditchline hanging over the water. I heard a small splash and figured i kicked a stick or something down. Got back to the truck and my tag was gone. Trudged all the way back and i could see it shimmering in a couple feet of water. Had to find a stick and wiggle it along the bottom and up the bank to get it back.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”