Capitalizing on Terrain Features for Farmland Whitetails

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SD_Bowhunter

Capitalizing on Terrain Features for Farmland Whitetails

Unread postby SD_Bowhunter » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:21 am

Halfway through my 2014 deer season I discovered the Hunting Beast way. Needless to say I have become addicted to all the information available on this site. I have found that not all of the hunting beast tactics apply directly to farmland whitetails, but what I have learned is that paying attention to the details is a key to being successful on mature bucks. I decided to take my scouting much more seriously before my South Dakota hunt this year and really try to understand why the deer were moving particular areas on the land I hunt.

Once I started looking at the maps I realized how a buck in farm country will use the slightest terrain advantage. I am hunting somewhat large shelterbelt that surrounds my uncles farm. My cousins usually shot nice deer during rifle season down in one particular corner (usually while feeding cows haha). I never put much thought into it until this season. Once I started looking at the maps I realized that there was a waterway that went right up to that corner. The waterway is probably only a 5 ft elevation change. I then looked at another spot that the deer always seemed to funnel to and sure enough there was a slight drainage in the field that ran right to that spot.

The buck I shot this year followed the waterway right to where my stand was inside the shelterbelt at 10am. Hopefully this can help any of you farmland whitetail hunters out there help narrow down your stand sites. I attached a aerial photo of the waterways I am talking about and their relationship to the shelter belt.

Anyone else have tips or tactics that they use when hunting farmland whitetails?

http://imageshack.com/a/img905/4254/V9tIxI.jpg

Lockdown

Re: Capitalizing on Terrain Features for Farmland Whitetails

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:11 am

Farmland is tough... Small elevation changes do make a big difference, you're right about that. I've been finding the beds in the lowest of the low, or highest of the high spots. Structure also plays a big part in buck and doe bedding. I find lots in blowdowns and next to logs. Basically anything DIFFERENT.

My best doe bedding is not wind dependent at all, but it's located near thickest canary grass and new tree saplings and re growth. The rest of the grove is choked out in buckthorn.

Islands in standing corn will always have beds. The flat stuff is really tricky, and I suggest targeting swamps and slews in farm country. That's where I find the biggest bucks. Swamps and also sanctuaries/refuges.

Standing corn is king, unless there are acorns available. It is my firm belief that big bucks spend more time in standing corn fields than any other place.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”