How often will a deer change beds???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: How often will a deer change beds???

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:44 am

Lockdown wrote:Got slightly off track there but regarding bedding in this terrain, the only consistently reused beds I have found are in swamps. Even then catching one doing the same thing twice is rare.

I talked with a local landowner of a gravel pit the other day that is known for big bucks annually. I was telling him about the hunting beast and what I've learned. He was interested but at the end of the conversation he said "all I can say about big bucks in the pit is there's absolutely no telling when or where they'll be. I grew up here (his house overlooks one side of the pit) and have lived here all of my 67 years and haven't been able nail down any consistent bedding or patterns on any of the big bucks we see here. You're lucky to lay eyes on one period."

Flat land is tough... Look for whatever structure you can find.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I said in another post that deep woods is toughest and then added southern swamped are right there. I don't think people have a real understanding at how vast these are and finding edges is an art in them. I've hunted ETex versions and had a hard time in those can't imagine the big LA, MS swamps. Hats off to anyone that can consistently get it done there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:11 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Got slightly off track there but regarding bedding in this terrain, the only consistently reused beds I have found are in swamps. Even then catching one doing the same thing twice is rare.

I talked with a local landowner of a gravel pit the other day that is known for big bucks annually. I was telling him about the hunting beast and what I've learned. He was interested but at the end of the conversation he said "all I can say about big bucks in the pit is there's absolutely no telling when or where they'll be. I grew up here (his house overlooks one side of the pit) and have lived here all of my 67 years and haven't been able nail down any consistent bedding or patterns on any of the big bucks we see here. You're lucky to lay eyes on one period."

Flat land is tough... Look for whatever structure you can find.

I said in another post that deep woods is toughest and then added southern swamped are right there. I don't think people have a real understanding at how vast these are and finding edges is an art in them. I've hunted ETex versions and had a hard time in those can't imagine the big LA, MS swamps. Hats off to anyone that can consistently get it done there.

I completely agree that those situations are tougher than farm land/flat land. No structure= nothing to key on. Big woods visibility would be extremely tough.

Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:13 pm

Good stuff, thank you all!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”