Been watching hill country dvd. A realQuestion. with labels.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bulldawgfan007

Been watching hill country dvd. A realQuestion. with labels.

Unread postby bulldawgfan007 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:47 pm

I've been watching the hill country dvd over and over. From looking at topos, i believe bucks might would bed on the points. I tried to apply myself and label the pic to where i would put a stand based off of the wind. Granting that bucks would leave their beds and walk to their destination with wind to their face. I also labeled which bed based off which wind. Am I grasping this concept of how the bucks would use wind? The only thing that gets me is according to the way I put the stands I would have to hunt it in the AM to take advantage of rising thermals for a thermal tunnel, correct?? Or would evening hunts be possible?Image

IkemanTx
500 Club

Re: Been watching hill country dvd. A realQuestion. with lab

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:56 pm

I would alter by not assuming they will walk into the wind once leaving the bed. Whatever food is their destination is where they will head, they are not always lucky enough for that to be upwind.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:08 pm

what I took from the dvd is they bed based on the wind for safety. once they get up to move, the game changes and movement isn't based off wind.
bulldawgfan007

Unread postby bulldawgfan007 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:17 pm

Ok. Thanks. Seems I have more to think about. I was trying to think so hard I didn't even think about the fact that in the morning he'd be going to his bed, not coming from bed to food. I have to rethink it all.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:16 pm

When a buck leaves his bed in the evening he will go wherever he wants to go regardless of wind. You have to figure out what he wants. Acorns, agriculture, browse, does, etc. Then set up just out of his sight to intercept him

In the morning they will typically swing down wind to scent check their bed before going up to it. They will usually be in their bed before shooting light. Just before the rut kicks in they will sometimes show up after daylight. If it has been a stormy night they may show up late since the heavy cloud cover will help mask the early light in the eastern sky and the buck may not realize just how soon daylight is about to come.

Having said that, it looks like you may have a marsh nearby. I would be looking for some beds on dry humps in there.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:26 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:[glow=red]When a buck leaves his bed in the evening he will go wherever he wants to go regardless of wind. You have to figure out what he wants. Acorns, agriculture, browse, does, etc. Then set up just out of his sight to intercept him[/glow]
In the morning they will typically swing down wind to scent check their bed before going up to it. They will usually be in their bed before shooting light. Just before the rut kicks in they will sometimes show up after daylight. If it has been a stormy night they may show up late since the heavy cloud cover will help mask the early light in the eastern sky and the buck may not realize just how soon daylight is about to come.

Having said that, it looks like you may have a marsh nearby. I would be looking for some beds on dry humps in there.

X2
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:06 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:[glow=red]Having said that, it looks like you may have a marsh nearby. I would be looking for some beds on dry humps in there.[/glow]

X2 especially since there appears to be an access rd through a few of the red dots.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”