MN Bigwoods Buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

MN Bigwoods Buck

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:02 am

I got another one of those public land bucks, a nice seven with a busted beam on Tues. It was a rifle kill so not the same thrill as the bow but it was still a cool/lucky hunt. I was watching one of those classic funnels way back where I could guarantee I would not see another hunter.

After a slow morning the wind did and 180 on me so I got out of the stand and had to move to make sure nothing could smell me and get on the other side of this small strip of woods between two large chunks of public land. I had to cross a large cutting and a doe busted me right away so I thought it was kind of a throw away hunt but I went and sat down on a stump. I worked up a little sweat so I threw my jacket and rifle down next to me. Within minutes I look up and see movement, sudden the buck turned his head and I could see a nice rack on the edge of thick cover not 75 yards away. He looked primed to cross right in front of me and I was trying to figure out how to get a shot off.

Then began what I would call the great stare down, a heart pounding 25-30 minutes of him looking away for a second and me moving an inch or two before he would zero in on me again. I had zero cover and he was getting nervous. I finally get the gun into a position where I might be able to take a shot, then he slowly starts moving back and to the left. I am starting to lose him in the brush and pick out a small opening. Well he paused in that opening for just one second and I fired, I looked up and saw nothing. Thinking that is either really good or really bad I pop another one into the chamber and slowly walk up to where I saw him. There he was all piled up. A nice mile or so drag through the swamp topped off the hunt.

On a personal note, my best deer season ever was really put into perspective when I lost my best friend this past Saturday. He was hunting with us and said he wasn't feeling well and went to lay down for a nap. Two hours later he was gone, we did everything to bring him back but he was just gone. We still don't know what happened but 32 is just way to young to go, he left behind a wife and two young kids. You guys probably won't see me around for a while as I need to put down my bows and guns for a while and focus on family and friends but I promise I will be back.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: MN Bigwoods Buck

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:22 am

Nice Buck! Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Take care, your in my thoughts and prayers.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:27 am

Sorry for your loss. Prayers to the family and to you. Great buck and a great season.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:36 am

Great buck. Sorry about your buddy.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:49 am

Congrats on your 2nd great bigwoods buck of the year. Sorry to hear about your good bud.....really puts things in perspective.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:12 am

CONGRATS!!! That is a great - big woods buck!!! Sorry for the loss of your friend/hunting buddy. I bet you did him proud taking that buck down.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:29 am

Wow, that's a sad ending to a great heartfelt story. I wish you all the best and am so sorry for your loss.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:52 am

congrats on a nice buck! sorry to hear about you buddy!
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:12 pm

Nice buck - congrats! Sorry to hear about your friend, and I wish you the best..
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Nice buck man and that is a great picture, thats a sad ending, I'm sorry to hear about your buddy.
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:34 pm

Great buck! Thoughts and prayers go out to you and his family.
[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Reflex011 wrote:Great buck! Thoughts and prayers go out to you and his family.

x2
Great Buck man! congrats

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:05 am

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Found out today he had a heart attack, major artery 99% blocked. They actually refered to it as a widow maker because no one ever expects them that young. I actually feel like I have some piece of mind today after 3 sleepless nights. It was just his time to go and there was nothing we could have done to save him. It's almost better it happened up north so his family didn't have to witness what I did. His boy hunted with us too but was with me at the time so we were able to shelter him from the whole mess.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:32 am

headgear wrote:Thanks for all the kind words guys. Found out today he had a heart attack, major artery 99% blocked. They actually refered to it as a widow maker because no one ever expects them that young. I actually feel like I have some piece of mind today after 3 sleepless nights. It was just his time to go and there was nothing we could have done to save him. It's almost better it happened up north so his family didn't have to witness what I did. His boy hunted with us too but was with me at the time so we were able to shelter him from the whole mess.

Tough to hear, but glad you are finding peace..
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Sorry to hear about your buddy...congrats on the buck

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”