Trail cams in hil country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Peeps22
500 Club

Trail cams in hil country

Unread postby Peeps22 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:15 am

I want to expand my scouting this spring into more of a hill country setting, seeing that 90% of what i have scouted in the past 2 years has been marshes.

One of the problems im having is how to determine where to place trail cameras in hilly terrain and know that im not going to screw bedding up when going to check them. Most of the land will be public so im not going to leave cams on the edge of the woods where its easy to see and easy to take.

I grew up hunting marshland, but i want to expand my skills into hill country environments as well. Are there any other tips some of you experianced hill country guys can give me to help me get started? Ive read through the tactical threads a couple times and have watched hill country bucks numerous times, which of course has helped a ton, but obviously theres always more to it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bucky

Re: Trail cams in hil country

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:27 am

Low water sources (thick cover)
Edges/transitions = from pine to hard wood for example, or from clear cut to hard wood
Tops of draws/drainages
Apple trees if you can find them in summer (old abandon farmsteads)
Fence lines within the timber
Scrapes (sometimes can be massive in big timber)
If legal - over salt/mineral containing product in spring/summer
Inside corners
Skinny ridge tops
Narrow saddles

Just a few ideas :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:38 am

IMO Bucky nailed it. Also, in Hill Country, Dan says to put minerals out or an "ice cream bucket" :lol: of corn in order to get the line up of bucks on a property. I really like putting them along brushy(or trees) fence/hedge rows, specifically hedge rows or brushy fence line that comes to a corner of a wooded area whether it be clear cut/ timber, wild growth (after clear cut). I put some at the top of deep cuts and drainages as well, in high traffic areas.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:27 am

Thanks Bucky and VA. Now, where are the best places to be putting cams early season/rut/late season? Again, i think my biggest worry is screwing things up more than helping me by using them...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”