Best Trail Cam for Public Land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

IkemanTx
500 Club

Best Trail Cam for Public Land

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:10 pm

Okay, I am looking at investing in a camera this spring and I am trying to figure out what would be the best cam for HIGH pressure public land. I am assuming IR, probably NO-GLOW. I am looking at using 2 Helium sticks to put the sucker in up high (10'-11'), and try to conceal it as much as possible. If I am limiting myself to NO-GLOW IR, what would you guys recommend? I keep hearing really positive, and ABSOLUTELY negative reviews on the same cameras and am finding it hard to decide. I am kind of leaning towards Stealth Cams, but am open to suggestions.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Dingus

Re: Best Trail Cam for Public Land

Unread postby Dingus » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:26 pm

Check out DIY Sportsman on YouTube. He jus did a video on a trail cam u may be interested in.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:47 pm

burkhart wrote:This may sound really dumb like but a cheap one. I would not spend a lot of money on something that someone could walk away with

Ya, but I am hoping to put them in places concealed well enough that only a flash would give them away. I would buy a really good No Glow camera for the price of a cheap one, a bear box, a cable, and a lock... I doubt many guys will walk through the woods with a climbing stick (or two for that matter) to retrieve my cams, especially if they don't see them since they are so high....
CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:51 pm

Walmart sells a Tasco that takes decent pics for $40-$50. That's what I use.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:55 pm

CRK925 wrote:Walmart sells a Tasco that takes decent pics for $40-$50. That's what I use.

Does it use a visible flash? I have heardmany a buck will avoid an area if they know a cam is in it, and I think a visible flash, no matter how well concealed, will give it away to deer and hunter alike.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:55 pm

IkemanTx wrote:
CRK925 wrote:Walmart sells a Tasco that takes decent pics for $40-$50. That's what I use.

Does it use a visible flash? I have heardmany a buck will avoid an area if they know a cam is in it, and I think a visible flash, no matter how well concealed, will give it away to deer and hunter alike.

Been using tasco's for a while problem they don't pick up far. they are a good mineral or bait station cam and that's about it.

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:37 pm

I run browning dark ops...

I love them...

They are very compact...

Black flash...

I use 1 stick and a cable lock+lock box if its gunna be seen by people...if i DONT think people will pass by i skip the lock box..

Pics are good...for being a black flash I am very happy...really helps at night if you can get them stopped at a scrape or mineral block/bait etc..but I get many good pics at night as long as they aren't moving too fast..

People sweat it too much IMO....most people don't step into the woods but a few days a year.. Field edges..walking trails etc you'll be prone to people...get them in the woods and I don't see people on mine...

Elevation seems to REALY be key...noone looks 8-12ft in a tree lol...

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:50 pm

X2 on browning dark ops. I sure wish someone would come out with a trail camera that password protects the SD cards and not just the camera.

HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:06 pm

I have one stealth cam-works flawlessly. The only other camera I have that has never had an issue-Reconyx. Ive had every brand out, and all with issues except those two. The reconyx is 8 years old and only needs batteries time and time again.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:07 am

IkemanTx wrote:
burkhart wrote:This may sound really dumb like but a cheap one. I would not spend a lot of money on something that someone could walk away with

Ya, but I am hoping to put them in places concealed well enough that only a flash would give them away. I would buy a really good No Glow camera for the price of a cheap one, a bear box, a cable, and a lock... I doubt many guys will walk through the woods with a climbing stick (or two for that matter) to retrieve my cams, especially if they don't see them since they are so high....

I like to hang mine high on public land. I usually put them around 10 - 12' up. I only buy Coverts anymore. They are small, camo, and if positioned right no body will see them. People rarely look up walking thru the woods. Even if they do, they can't reach them. Also, I never have deer look at the camera anymore and I seem to get a bit more area than hanging them at eye level with the deer. I have several of the MP6 & MP8's. Sometimes checking the cameras in the late evening after hunting I don't see them flash when approaching them. They run around $100 - $125 per camera, cheaper if you watch for sales on Amazon or other places online. You can buy cheaper cameras but you get what you pay for in most cases and Coverts are good quality and have great customer service if you need it. Just use a little judgement when placing them in areas of high pressure. I won't hunt those kind of areas anyway, I try to get to the places most people don't go. That makes it better for using cameras also. I have gotten several pics of hunters, horseback riders, hikers, etc and have never had a problem on public (knock on wood). I have had on stolen on private by tresspassers but that one wasn't up high.

Good camera = good service = good pictures = less stress = more fun
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
sethg

Unread postby sethg » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:08 am

mauser06 wrote:I run browning dark ops...

I love them...

They are very compact...

Black flash...

I use 1 stick and a cable lock+lock box if its gunna be seen by people...if i DONT think people will pass by i skip the lock box..

Pics are good...for being a black flash I am very happy...really helps at night if you can get them stopped at a scrape or mineral block/bait etc..but I get many good pics at night as long as they aren't moving too fast..

People sweat it too much IMO....most people don't step into the woods but a few days a year.. Field edges..walking trails etc you'll be prone to people...get them in the woods and I don't see people on mine...

Elevation seems to REALY be key...noone looks 8-12ft in a tree lol...

I agree here... I have 2 that are 10 feet high right now. Knock on wood, there has been no one walk by them. But even if they did they couldn't reach it... I highly doubt they'll even see it. Heck I know where they both are and it takes me a minute to find them when I go check them lol..
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:37 am

I have found that it is worth it to spend a bit more for a middle of the road cam so that you can get better trigger range and sensitivity, which allows you to set your cam higher and back more so that it is concealed better. As technology gets better, it will be less of an issue. I bought 4 coverts this year and I think they were in the $70 to $80 range.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:55 am

What hunter mike said
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:02 am

IkemanTx wrote:Okay, I am looking at investing in a camera this spring and I am trying to figure out what would be the best cam for HIGH pressure public land. I am assuming IR, probably NO-GLOW. I am looking at using 2 Helium sticks to put the sucker in up high (10'-11'), and try to conceal it as much as possible. If I am limiting myself to NO-GLOW IR, what would you guys recommend? I keep hearing really positive, and ABSOLUTELY negative reviews on the same cameras and am finding it hard to decide. I am kind of leaning towards Stealth Cams, but am open to suggestions.

On some of the negative reviews, you can get a feel as to whether or not it was due to user error or not. If the review is something like "I got 600 pictures of the wind" I would count that as user error.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Ravenhunter

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:05 am

I run whatever's onsale. I build mounts that screw into trees and you can angle them down. I also use my lw climbing sticks to hang them high, min 10'. I will use cable locks too for extra security. Moultrie have worked the best for me.

Longbow with a pointy stick
Hunting is Conservation

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”