Michigan Public land. Need some help learning.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Re: Michigan Public land. Need some help learning.

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:38 pm

Im thinking of picking up a couple more cams. I have been running mine since July on a chunk of private and have zero pictures of big bucks. The largest was a basket 8 pt. Since gun season started i have one small 4 pt and thats it other then does. I ran it on stateland a little but get to freaked out someones gonna steal it. Ive been lookin at a few cheaper models n think im gonna try them n see if i like em.. My issue isnt finding deer.. I can kill the heck outta em. I just can get a pattern down on the big ones. I usually see em once ever n thats it. Im not sure if they just cruise through or r moving bedding n we just dont cross paths but if I see one or two big bucks a yr im lucky. This yr I killed the second biggest buck i seen. I cant believe either of them 2 bucks were the biggest out there. I put on miles of wear on my boots n got into some very secluded stuff. Nothing. No rubs no big tracks ect ect. Its just tough tough hunting. I just keep on keeping on trying to find the next little hiding hole or next little bedding area.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:50 pm

johndeere506 wrote:One thing that maybe holds me back is believing. To me, I need to see the proof, the actual bucks to REALLY spend some time there. Maybe cams on public will fix that for me. Without a sighting or picture, I feel like I'm hunting ghosts or maybe nocturnal bucks. I wonder if anyone's felt the same.

This is where shining, trail cameras, big rubs, big tracks and seeing with your own eyes helps. Mature bucks are just like ghosts, rarely seen and when they are no one believes you :lol: but on a serious note, once you start to understand how a mature buck thinks compared to younger bucks and how they use the terrain, secure food, wind, and dismiss 90% of the woods due to human pressure and the fact that the thermals and winds don't provide the security needed in order for them to see old age. This is the chess match I look forward to every season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:18 pm

I agree with the lack of age structure as well. I hunt public land on the north side of bay county. If anyone if familiar the area let me know. Seems like its a free for all on anything with horns. Kind of sucks.

Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:19 pm

If anyone is familiar with that area. Should of proof read.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”