Finding giants

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RidgeReaper

Finding giants

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:09 am

Let's say someone in your area sees a very big buck. One that you've never seen before. You can't or don't want to use trail cams due to theft on public and can't spotlight them because it's all woods. What do you do to locate that buck? With only a rough idea of where he is and the hopes that he makes it through rifle season that just opened today in PA! I heard about this situation from a buddy who met up with a guy that killed a big one near one of my good spots and the guy apparently missed one way bigger than the 10 he got today...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Wlog
500 Club

Re: Finding giants

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:43 am

Scouting on foot is the only way. Cover the cover as they say.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:01 am

Deer in PA are so displaced right now it'd be a shot in the dark...between the rut and today's pressure no telling how far a deer will end up "away from home".

Every deer I seen today looked like they've been running all day...

Post season snow is where I'd start...

RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:04 am

Yea I was thinking post season too. No sense in pushing a giant around now and getting him killed. If he is hiding good now he might make it through. I killed a good one already but I wish I were out there today! Makes me sick all the deer are getting shot off right now haha.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:24 am

They don't relocate to a new zip code. Those televised police chases almost always end up near the perpetrators home turf.
The concept is the same with deer I think. You can't feel safe in an unknown area. So that big deer is still worth pursuing. Is it so big that the track might give it away or confirm it is still around?

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:29 pm

I'm in the same boat as youself, was shared a picture of a giant. I thought about hunting it hard with a gun but backed off, I went in 1 day to confirm where he was supposed to be and found the below rub. Backed out and now it's time to first confirm he lived then second to put together the pieces for next year's bow season. Once a buck gets old, it would take a lot of change to push him out of his home range. I expect to cut a giant track in the snow late season if he's still alive. Fingers crossed!

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:40 pm

Go find his tracks. Walk transition lines and find the runs coming out of the thickets, swamps, marsh, timber, ect and look for the big old mature buck track.
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:47 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:They don't relocate to a new zip code. Those televised police chases almost always end up near the perpetrators home turf.
The concept is the same with deer I think. You can't feel safe in an unknown area. So that big deer is still worth pursuing. Is it so big that the track might give it away or confirm it is still around?

Well I personally haven't seen him yet. My Dad hunted the same area a few times this year and his first sit he saw what he called an absolute monster. I saw a few very large buck too over my few times in the same general area. The one the old guy I mentioned shot was probably one of the big 10s I saw late Oct. there were some real big ones taken from the same mountain all within a mile of my mentioned spot that my buddy saw being drug out today and sent me some pics of. Some were very impressive bucks! I just want to find them after the season goes out and would love to have a visual on one or two so I know the potential for next bow season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”