Tactics/observations of deer drives in hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Tactics/observations of deer drives in hill country

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:24 am

I was wondering if anyone on here has any tactics which work well for them or observations from deer drives in hill country. Some information I was hoping to gain from this discussion is do deer tend to run the ridges or drop down in the bottoms (Where is the best place to position standers)? When looking at an area to push deer do you focus on ridges with bedding points that are favorable for current wind conditions or just focus on cover or bedding points along the 1/3 elevation line? Also is there anything anyone has learned from these pushes which has changed the way they will approach them in the future. I would assume the bucks would try sneaking out of the beds once they smell or hear something coming but what I'm struggling to figure out is how will they use the wind after being forced to leave the bed.

VA5326

Re: Tactics/observations of deer drives in hill country

Unread postby VA5326 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:27 am

When pushed, most deer will put their nose in to the wind or a variant of a quartering wind and will either attempt to get out of dodge, make a loop, and/or double back. Other variables make deer react different ways. i.e. Catching human scent while their noses are in the wind.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”