Hunting vehicles

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Hunting vehicles

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:55 am

Does anyone use a car as a hunting vehicle? My jeep is having issues and I'm looking at getting a new vehicle and hate the price tags on trucks. Anybody hunt exclusively out of a car?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Re: Hunting vehicles

Unread postby CRK925 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:59 am

What about a smallish SUV? Ford Escape or Honda CRV, something along those lines? Or an older Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee?

I don't think it can qualify as a hunting vehicle in my mind without 4x4.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:35 am

CRK925 wrote:What about a smallish SUV? Ford Escape or Honda CRV, something along those lines? Or an older Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee?

I don't think it can qualify as a hunting vehicle in my mind without 4x4.

Yeah those options are on the table I'm just trying to pinch pennies even thought about a commuter car and a beater truck cuz I drive 600 miles a week to and from work

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:50 am

yep just bought a 2015 kia forte. averaging round 36mpg. my #1 hit list buck fit just fine in her this year 8-)
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:52 am

and b4 that I used ford focus's and ive had 2 deer in those trunks. gave that car to my son though
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:22 am

I hunt out of my 2004 Chevy Malibu. Pushing 180,000 miles and still get 30 mpg. Barring clearance issues, my front wheel drive car gets me everywhere.

Looking at a wagon as my next vehicle.
"In the deed, the glory"
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:29 am

I have hunted out of a tiny Toyota paseo for years and years. That being said I hunt only close to home and do have a yota pickup in the driveway should I score and need to haul a deer. I wanted great milage and enough room to do everything I would look at a Honda fit.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:52 am

I've had several big bucks in my toyota prius. Yes, people look at me funny but I don't care let's me do more hunting far away because I'm pulling 50+ mpg.

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:05 am

I did hunt out of a focus for a couple years and didn't mind it too bad, I guess my big concern is ground clearance for deep snow and such up north. How do you car guys deal with that; just not hunt the days it's real bad? Do you just plan on walking a little further?

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:07 am

Trailcamaddict wrote:I've had several big bucks in my toyota prius. Yes, people look at me funny but I don't care let's me do more hunting far away because I'm pulling 50+ mpg.

This is exactly what I'm thinking if I buy a pickup and drop 40 k it's not gonna leave much play money

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:18 am

Yup. I have a truck but rarely use it for hunting, only in the winter when deep snow in parking lots is an issue. For that, yea you need 4WD or you walk further.

Otherwise I have hunted out of a Jetta, a Corolla, and a tiny little Yaris over the last few years. If you can fold the rear seat down you can fit even a big buck in it trust me :D A hunter doesn't need a truck anywhere with maintained roads.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:33 am

If a hunter is parking in designated areas off the road a 4x4 isn't required and overkill for gas mileage. Drive a car or small suv.

If you plan on off roadin, even just logging roads, a 4x4 truck with good ground clearance is my choice every time.

I currently own three vehicles and a work supplied pick-up. All four are full size 4x4 but considering a switch to small suv for the wife's daily driver to better fuel consumption.

My advice is two vehicles for you. One good small car/suv for gas conservation and a full size truck when you need it. You don't need to drop 40k either....look for deals and rotate vehicles every two years or so. For 20-25k you could have 2 reliable vehicles.

Edit. Forgot to add it's nice switching up vehicles so other hunters/fisherman don't always recognize the same truck.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:01 am

I occasionally use my Corolla. I never put a deer in it but I'm sure it would work. Usually I bring one of the trucks. Getting stuck always seems to be in the cards between unimproved roads, rutted up parking areas, and/or off road parking. Cell service is never a guarantee in many areas I hunt. I use the car more for glassing and shining than anything. Even then, I sometimes bring the truck. The roads in the Western WI hills can be horrible in some areas.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:06 am

If you can put a trailer hitch on it you can out an external cargo carrier on to carry a deer.

I once bought a vehicle basing my decision heavily on fuel mileage as I had a long drive to work. It turned out to be my most expensive vehicle purchase as I only kept it a few years. I am one of those people ho believe that vehicles are nothing but expense and the only way to minimize the cost is to keep them as long as is practical.

My last vehicle purchase was a 2013 GMC Sierra. I traded in a 15 year old Nissan Frontier that had nearly 200k on it. I intended to buy another Frontier but when I drove the new Frontier I just didn't like it. At the time I found that the small trucks and the full size trucks cost about the same and got about the same mileage so I ended up with a full size truck.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:08 am

I used a Toyota Corolla for a few years. loaded em up in the trunk.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”