Yotes while bowhunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Yotes while bowhunting?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:47 am

This year I had an oppurtunity to take a 7 yard shot at a coyote, while in the bow stand. I elected to pass because it was just getting light out, and I didn't want to ruin my hunt. I am regretting this decsion. How much damage do you think is done to the area as far as a whitetail is concerned, by shooting a coyote out of a bow stand? What would you do in this situation. I'v never shot a coyote before and would think it would make for some cool taxidermy work.

solocam88
500 Club

Re: Yotes while bowhunting?

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:00 am

I would shoot without hesitation.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:18 am

Shot this one and after it died in some brush a few yards away, a small buck walked in and smelled the arrow in the ground. A second coyote came by and walked within 15 yards of the buck. They looked at each other, the buck bristled up but never ran as the yote moved on. Pretty cool to see. I say shootem up! :)
[url]Image[/url]
ryanm

Unread postby ryanm » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:43 am

E72... that is a cool story. I agree let the arrow fly.

One year around 7am 3 yotes came in range right after I had seen a nice buck and heard a turkey give some alarm clucks... I shot the first yote and it ran under a tree right underneath me. the 2nd yote thought she was after a rabbit so it followed, I tried a head shot and it was able to avoid the arrow the then busted the arrow off running it over while it was stuck in the ground. the first yote was still alive under my tree so I tried a head shot and it also flinched and then chewed the arrow feathers off. So I ran out of arrows and screwed the days hunt up. I did tan the hide and hung it from the chewed up arrow.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:47 am

E72 wrote:Shot this one and after it died in some brush a few yards away, a small buck walked in and smelled the arrow in the ground. A second coyote came by and walked within 15 yards of the buck. They looked at each other, the buck bristled up but never ran as the yote moved on. Pretty cool to see. I say shootem up! :)
[url]Image[/url]

E72, Your story is what inspired me to create this post, I was reading your post in the predators section, which got me regretting my decision to let that yote walk.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:55 am

I think live yotes cause more problems deer hunting than dead ones!!!!!
Shooting yotes while deer hunting here, or when purposely hunting yotes does not mess up the deer woods here. It actually helps it.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:39 am

i wouldnt think twice about not shooting it..when a coyote comes in..gotta take the chance and release an arrow..i wouldnt think it would screw up your hunt..coyotes dont come by often so when they do..let it fly!
Cash 18

Unread postby Cash 18 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:48 am

I would shoot it I think if I had the choice between a doe and a coyote, I would still shoot the coyote. i have always wanted to get one mounted
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:58 am

Some people say it's harder to kill a yote than a deer???

I would shoot and do shoot when they provide a shot opportunity!!! :evil:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Dead or alive the deer will smell that the yote has been there... Shoot em if you like and there are no deer around at that moment.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:56 pm

I have shot a coyote before and had deer come in after. I would fire at will. The other night I had a yote come across the field and could not get a shot. 2 does were feeding in cornfield and another yote tried to put the stalk on them and the deer waited until he was about 30 yds then took off. The funny thing was two more does came out the same trail the coyote did just minutes before. They live with them regardless.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:09 pm

shoot em up! if you don't hit em atleast you can hope to scare them onto the next guys property and off of yours for awhile!! :D
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Pink

Unread postby Pink » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:56 pm

SHOOT!!!!!!
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:14 am

I drew on a coyote last Thursday as he ran past me at 7 yards. He was trailing three doe and a spike that walked by me earlier. I tried to stick him but I had to let him pass my stand so he would not see me draw as he got up on me real quick. I was very close to getting a good shot on him.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:45 pm

Couple years ago had one scent right to where i had shot a doe 2 days before.Iwas unsure what type of license you needed to shoot yotes{all i had at the time was my archery deer license}so it got a pass.What type of license do you need to hunt yotes?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”