Tactics for cunchy snow and quiet conditions?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Motivated
500 Club

Tactics for cunchy snow and quiet conditions?

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:22 am

Last Sunday I believe I cleared the woods before I arrived at my stand site. Everything was quiet with very light winds, and my every step seemed incredibly loud with the crunchy snow. I tried walking slow with a different cadence. I thought about walking through a creek, but was committed to my spot. This was a mistake.

What do you guys prefer to do under these conditions? If I have a hunting day on the calendar, I need to use it effectively.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
stash59

Re: Tactics for cunchy snow and quiet conditions?

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:45 am

Try bump and dump tactics. Small drives. Or just scout! Tough situation.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:16 am

I'm thinking that if I have to hunt (versus scout) then access is key. I only considered running water access to reduce sound. On the public I hunt there is a long ridge planted with pines. I bet I could have slowly worked down the ridge quietly while avoiding the crunchy snow. I will keep this in mind next time.

Are there are other tricks or strategies?

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:35 am

Go in real early when they are less likely to break cover (midday) and give em time to forget about the noise. Or, go in with a friend, you climb the tree and he walks past so it sounds like you left.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:00 am

dan wrote:Go in real early when thoey are less likely to break cover (midday) and give em time to forget about the noise. Or, go in with a friend, you climb the tree and he walks past so it sounds like you left.

I like quiet access most, but this works. Buddy keeps walking, quad drops you off, I even used a turkey caller once and made real irregular steps in a turkey roost area.

PeteA

Unread postby PeteA » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:40 pm

The deer will make noise when walking in those conditions also so I try to sound like a deer.. I point my toe driving it into the snow or frozen leaves making a short staccato sound instead of the longer crunch of a regular heel to toe step and only take 2 to 4 steps at a time. Bare logs, rocks, and wet areas can help cover ground quietly
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Pretty much what he just said above

I went pretty slow the other day but it still seemed too loud and crunchy. I heard a deer coming not 15min in stand. I could hear that thing from so far away. They make alot of noises in those conditions too.Just try not to sound too human like and don't rush it especially last couple hundred yards.

Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:16 am

one thing i do is use a walking stick or two, you can somewhat simulate the sound of a 4 legged critter walking instead of a 2 legged human. it's easier to sound like 4 legs with 2 sticks, but 1 stick can work too. we all know what a deer sounds like walking, just try to copy that sound and cadence as best you can. you'd be surprised at how well it can work.
WSalzNC

Unread postby WSalzNC » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:30 am

Motivated wrote:Last Sunday I believe I cleared the woods before I arrived at my stand site. Everything was quiet with very light winds, and my every step seemed incredibly loud with the crunchy snow. I tried walking slow with a different cadence. I thought about walking through a creek, [glow=red]but was committed to my spot. This was a mistake.[/glow] [/img]

This is a great conversation... I'm learning that flexibility and creativity are extremely important out there. I blew it going into a spot a few weeks ago on public land. The place obviously held quite a few deer-- as evidenced by the gunshots in all directions-- but I was too committed to a particular spot I had marked on the map. I walked in too fast, and decided to walk the last couple hundred yards to the spot through large, super crispy oak leaves. I didn't see jack at that spot.

Trying again this weekend, and I keep hearing one of you guys (Dewey, maybe?) saying, "If you think you're walking slow enough, walk SLOWER."
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:05 am

A book I read by Peter Fiduccia had an interesting tactic. Try to sound like a deer. So trot in as opposed to walking, maybe even blow a grunt here and there.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:43 am

Stay home and eat soup :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”