Excellent Shotgun Opener

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Indianahunter
500 Club

Excellent Shotgun Opener

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:49 pm

I set up a stand for dad early in the year. He shot the best buck of his life. An old warrior 10 that field dressed 248. Dad has been hunting since 1980 and dreamed of a big buck since.

I gave my brother Mikey my original old Mathews Ultra 2 because he wanted to get in to bow hunting this year. Got him a new cam for his draw length and he stuck with it even in opening day of shotgun and shot this lopsided 8 that oddly enough I rattled in last weekend and let walk. He was setting in an old faithful stand I call "the doe spot stand" that I hung about 8 years ago. This is his first bow kill ever and he is hopelessly hooked.

Every year we have what we call deer camp for opening day of shotgun. It is actually My Dad, brother, my buddy Andy and I getting together the night before at either mine or my dads house and having a good ol time razzing one another and going hunting together the next morning. Andy was bummed out because he wasn't going to be able to come to our town and hunt with us this year, so I told him I would hunt opening day and would come sit with him in the blind opening morning. We had a blast, didn't think we were going to see anything because we were joking around and having a blast. 9am he shot his best buck ever a 10 pointer and the biggest buck we have ever seen in his county.

I didn't mention my contribution to these guys hunts to toot my horn. I mentioned it to say that this was the single most rewarding and successful day in the deer woods I have ever had. I love these guys and it was an honor to have been there and shared it with all of them and to have contributed to their success. The other reason was to thank Dan. With the exception of the "doe spot stand" all of these areas I put them on were from spring scouting Beast Style using what I have learned here. Thank you Dan and to all my fellow Beasts for all that you have contributed to me, that I had my best day making this the best day for those that I am closest to.
First pic is Dad and my baby brother mike. Dad shot a doe about an hour after his buck.
Dad and Mike2 111310.jpg

Second pic is my buddy and brother by bond Andy and his best buck.
Andy10.jpg
Dad and Mike2 111310.jpg
Andy10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
wmihunter

Re: Excellent Shotgun Opener

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 pm

wow! sounds like a blast. HUGE congrats!
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:29 am

Congrats on an awesome weekend!
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:36 am

Congrats!!!
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:11 am

Cool, your gone have to get a guiding license, Bob! :lol: :lol: :lol:
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:04 am

Congrats!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:30 am

CONGRATS to all!!! What a great start to the shotgun season :D
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:35 am

nice work! congrats!
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:44 pm

Maybe I should guide for other people. I made a mad dash to the woods after work this evening and seen a black squirrel, 2 grays and 1 fox squirrel. LOL. Thanks guys, my dad has called me dozen time today he is going to be pretty fired up about this for a good while.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Cool...congrats
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:37 pm

When I originally tried to attach the pics it said they weren't a supported file format. I tried to edit them and notice that they are tiny. I will try this again so you can see a little better.
Papooster and Sampson.jpg

Dad had been hunting all week and obviously not shaved...lol. He said if he knew he was going to get his best buck and be getting his picture taken he would have shaved. I told him I didn't care about that but I wish he would have at least combed his hair and brushed his teeth. He doesn't have either, but it would have been nice if he would have brought his false teeth anyway...LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:44 pm

My little Brother Mikey and his first bow kill.
Mikey First Bowkill.jpg
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:49 pm

My Buddy Andy's best buck to date. A nice respectable ten that he has thanked me for a dozen times. I almost feel bad for the thank yous because I know it was Dan and my Beast friends that actually deserve the credit.
Andys Ten.jpg
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Here is the line-up from opening Day. Notice how much larger bodied Dads deer is to the others. He took him to the taxidermist today and the guy said that Dads deer was a nice 3 1/2 year old and that Andy's was only 2 1/2!!! I think the guy is crazy! I think Dads buck is at least 5 1/2 and Andy's 3 1/2. What do you guys think? Also what do you think Dad's buck will GROSS, the deductions will kill his net score, but who cares. I told him mid 140's probably.
Opening Day Line Up.jpg
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:05 am

8-) Not bad for sure!!!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”