Arrow/broadhead deflections?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rff

Re: Arrow/broadhead deflections?

Unread postby rff » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:50 am

Good thread. I have been thinking about going back to a fixed blade myself for many reasons posted above. I have been looking at the Magnus Stinger 4 blade and the Magnus Stinger Buzzcut 4 blade. Anyone have experience with these?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hauntedwaters

Unread postby Hauntedwaters » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:58 am

My cousin is a 31 inch draw on a 70 lb PSE Axe and shoots heavy arrows and fixed blades. He had a deflection where he hit the boiler room but the arrow came out in the groin. The deer was quartering in a bit. We had done a spot and stalk so I was right there when he shot. It was a weird impact sound; like someone hit a 55 gallon plastic drum with a wrench. Deer only went 75 yards, but we still expected a pass through at point of impact.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:29 am

This little gal almost got lucky. She was 1/4 ing away, I aimed for the offside shoulder, from right at her last rib on the near side.

It looks to me like the S/T mag 125 actually did hit her last rib; the ribs themselves deflected inward as the broadhead bounced along from one rib to the next not quite getting the tip to penetrate under one of them. The last five or so ribs are severed.

It ended up being a double lung and severing the jugular with the arrow coming out her neck, forward of her off side shoulder. She did not go 30 yds.

On this one I think the pliable young ribs actually flexed so much that the blades just rode along on the washboard. Had it been an older animal I think it would have dove through and the targeted off shoulder would have been blasted.

Same end result; so only an interesting photo was the difference!

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:58 am

dan wrote:
johndeere506 wrote:In my opinion neither is better. [glow=red]Like Assasin/Dan/others have said a properly hit deer is dead either way.[/glow] Shoulder I'd rather have fixed, gut shot or anything back I'd rather have large mechs. I lost a shoulder hit buck w 70 lbs and slick tricks, so nothing is perfect. Sometimes stuff happens.

A properly hit deer "with no deflection"... ;) Large cutting dia's and mechanical actions DO cause deflection.

Yeah I'm catching on now. Lol. It's just crazy to me. That last pic is nuts!

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:12 pm

dan wrote:
johndeere506 wrote:In my opinion neither is better. [glow=red]Like Assasin/Dan/others have said a properly hit deer is dead either way.[/glow] Shoulder I'd rather have fixed, gut shot or anything back I'd rather have large mechs. I lost a shoulder hit buck w 70 lbs and slick tricks, so nothing is perfect. Sometimes stuff happens.

A properly hit deer "with no deflection"... ;) Large cutting dia's and mechanical actions DO cause deflection.

Agreed

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:53 pm

There are some plywood deflection test videos online comparing broadheads. Very interesting to watch what the heads do when hitting plywood at an angle.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:58 pm

rff wrote:Good thread. I have been thinking about going back to a fixed blade myself for many reasons posted above. I have been looking at the Magnus Stinger 4 blade and the Magnus Stinger Buzzcut 4 blade. Anyone have experience with these?

I like those heads. But as with any longer swept back design - your tune needs to be perfect. But they always spin true, fly true and they're tough tough heads.
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:45 am

This is interesting. The buck i shot this year was near perfectly broadside when i shot him. He was about 22 yards away and i was about 18 feet up. The hit looked perfect but when the deer turned to run he only took 3 large bounds through the marsh grass and stopped. That's when i saw a big ball of intestines hanging out of him. I had no idea what happened and still don't really. I took a pic of him in the bed right where i found him, you can see the entrance and exit in the same pic. My downward angle at that height/distance shouldn't have been a problem. And why it came out so far back? My arrows are just over 530 grain, brass inserts, 125gr head, momentum shouldn't have been an issue.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:14 am

Bones what type of head if you don't mind me asking? I agree sounds like you had above average momentum and FOC which should have minimized the likelihood of a deflection...but there's always a chance.

Like was mentioned earlier deer do move incredibly fast at the shot, sometimes we don't even see it. That's always a factor. My brother shot a buck one year, the entrance hole was just above the brisket and the exit ended up being 4-6" higher even though he was shooting down at him, the deer jumped the string and was leaning away as he pushed off. Hit him perfect by shear luck. Weird stuff.

Another thing, I personally have a hard time to judge angle on a shot precisely. I might think perfect broadside shot but ends up being slightly quartering one way or another. Just another layer of complexity.
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:54 am

JoeRE wrote:Bones what type of head if you don't mind me asking? I agree sounds like you had above average momentum and FOC which should have minimized the likelihood of a deflection...but there's always a chance.

Like was mentioned earlier deer do move incredibly fast at the shot, sometimes we don't even see it. That's always a factor. My brother shot a buck one year, the entrance hole was just above the brisket and the exit ended up being 4-6" higher even though he was shooting down at him, the deer jumped the string and was leaning away as he pushed off. Hit him perfect by shear luck. Weird stuff.

Another thing, I personally have a hard time to judge angle on a shot precisely. I might think perfect broadside shot but ends up being slightly quartering one way or another. Just another layer of complexity.

I shot a rage hypodermic. First time i've used one. It makes sense the deer may have moved enough to change my angle slightly but the part that has me scratching my head is how low the exit is. When the deer took off after the shot he was moving away which really doesn't make sense.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:27 pm

Thought I would bump this thread. There just was a segment on MWW that apparently involved a deflection. Pretty interesting. The deer was slightly quartering toward him to begin with though too.

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/gallery/181/media/6813/mw1516-rollercoaster-rut-hunt.html
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:49 am

I shot my buck this year at 32 yards, downhill and the buck was close to broadside. He dropped immediately so I knew I spined him but I didn't think my shot was that high. Entrance hole was midway up body and the arrow broke when the buck rolled on it. When butchering, I found the rage hypo lodged in the spine and at an angle that it looked like I shot from under the deer. Clearly deflected on entry. My set up is an 80lb obsession phoenix with 530g FMJ 300s. Its well tuned and has plenty of KE so I was surprised at any deflection. That said, I have shot this bow/arrow combo for two years and every other deer has gone down quickly with no deflection. It was an outlier for sure. I will keep using the this combo as it has done the job.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”