Trophy Bucks come from...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stew

Trophy Bucks come from...

Unread postby Stew » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:33 am

As I begin to plan for the seasons to come I am having a hard time coming to a conclusion on what types of properties I should go after to find Trophy bucks.

I see world class bucks taken from all types of areas across the country but am wondering....

Will Marsh/ Swamp locations produce the highest rate of return on high scoring mature bucks? Farm Land? Depend on the area?

headgear
500 Club

Re: Trophy Bucks come from...

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:49 am

It really depends on the area, you have to look around near you and see where the pressure is and how the deer adapt to that pressure, or lack there of if you are lucky. It's different everywhere.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:31 am

You gave very little in details... You buying? asking permission? leasing? public? TRAVELING TO OTHER STATES? STAYING HOME?

Vague questions get vague answers... Look for areas known to hold big bucks. If its public its again going to depend on pressure, part of my answer would depend on when your hunting, some places open in August, some mid October? To me, no matter what you choose, it needs to have maximum bedding because a property can only hold as many big bucks as it has big buck bedding areas.
Stew

Unread postby Stew » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:32 am

Sorry for the vagueness. I guess I was hoping for a generalized answer.

I am going after (and currently hunting) a little bit of everything. Private, public. wood lots, farmland. And I plan on buying in the next 3 years.

I hunt several states but of course, like everyone, I spend most of my hunting time close to home here in TN and want to maximize that. I plan on seeking out some of those prime big buck locations for permission/ lease opps. But within those areas are various terrain types.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:59 am

LOL... A little of everything.

I like to hunt marsh or swamp early season cause you can get really close to beds without as much thermal and wind problems... I like hills in the rut cause you can read them like a map and set up perfect on cruising bucks... I like farms late season where the right food plot can put every buck in the area on your farm... But thats a perfect world... Hill country burns up quick cause there is not a lot of spots to hunt on small acreage, but that being said, in the right areas even a sm all property can be deadly if its laid out right... I would really look close at access and how much bedding area there is for most common winds before purchase or leasing.
Marshes and swamps can be good all year, so can some farm territory, but bucks can be notorious for edge bedding and seeing your access or smelling you from behind.

Other than that, lots of bedding in an area that has big bucks... add good well located food plots if its private, and your really going to see results.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:10 pm

You said Trophy Bucks, to me I define that as >150 class animals. What's your definition of Trophy? For me, TN would not even register as a consideration state if I were after that category. No offense, I know that's where you're at but that is how I would start by answering your question. That will start to limit the areas for the consideration set.

Next, take a look back at the years of kill threads on the beast. Who is consistently killing that caliber of animal and what type of land and where, public/private? You need to caveat yourself that of course a lot of it is in the hunter but I think an equal or greater than equal part is location and opportunity. I think we have a lot of regulars on the beast who are equally qualified in consistently getting it done on the best class animal in their area. But when you factor in location it starts to separate the trophies from the good and consistent hunters.

With that said I'll save you some time. Iowa! Sure, we have a pockets here or there of guys getting it done on mature 150 class animals but if I had to place Vegas money on inches of bone per capita I would bet the farm on the Iowa crew here on the forum. We don't have to name names but it is by far the most consistent area and group of hunters producing my definition of trophy bucks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:48 pm

Midwest. Latitudes between Central MO and Central WI...ideally below the winter severity index line (high snowfall). Preferably within 50 miles to a big river (Mississippi river, Missouri river, etc.) Big rivers often mean good soils. After that its the most important factor...AGE! Hunt pieces where bucks can mature or where the adjoining pieces allow them to mature. IA is the easy choice...limited draw on public...limited pressure, but any other state will produce if you can find an area where they can grow. Good luck on your journey.
Stew

Unread postby Stew » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:23 pm

dan wrote:LOL... A little of everything.

I like to hunt marsh or swamp early season cause you can get really close to beds without as much thermal and wind problems... I like hills in the rut cause you can read them like a map and set up perfect on cruising bucks... I like farms late season where the right food plot can put every buck in the area on your farm... But thats a perfect world... Hill country burns up quick cause there is not a lot of spots to hunt on small acreage, but that being said, in the right areas even a sm all property can be deadly if its laid out right... I would really look close at access and how much bedding area there is for most common winds before purchase or leasing.
Marshes and swamps can be good all year, so can some farm territory, but bucks can be notorious for edge bedding and seeing your access or smelling you from behind.

Other than that, lots of bedding in an area that has big bucks... add good well located food plots if its private, and your really going to see results.

I get I was still vague. I misspoke... I am not looking for a little of everything. I currently hunt a little of everything just because that is what I have access to. I want to go after optimal buck habitat and needed a little clarity for the sake of overthinking.

Thanks for the help...that is great info. Definitely gives me a better understanding on how to plan for my current spots and find new ones.

James wrote:You said Trophy Bucks, to me I define that as >150 class animals. What's your definition of Trophy? For me, TN would not even register as a consideration state if I were after that category. No offense, I know that's where you're at but that is how I would start by answering your question. That will start to limit the areas for the consideration set.

Next, take a look back at the years of kill threads on the beast. Who is consistently killing that caliber of animal and what type of land and where, public/private? You need to caveat yourself that of course a lot of it is in the hunter but I think an equal or greater than equal part is location and opportunity. I think we have a lot of regulars on the beast who are equally qualified in consistently getting it done on the best class animal in their area. But when you factor in location it starts to separate the trophies from the good and consistent hunters.

With that said I'll save you some time. Iowa! Sure, we have a pockets here or there of guys getting it done on mature 150 class animals but if I had to place Vegas money on inches of bone per capita I would bet the farm on the Iowa crew here on the forum. We don't have to name names but it is by far the most consistent area and group of hunters producing my definition of trophy bucks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

TN would surprise you but yes you are correct there are not 150 inchers hanging out in the backyard much. I am fortunate to have harvested a couple of 140+ gross bucks in the past couple seasons. But for sure the product of a good spot (opportunity)

I guess it really depends on your goals. If I want to set a world record...Im not picking TN. But A trophy to me personally is geographical and based on dominance. For example, a net 150" deer in my area would probably fit into the top 1% of scored deer here. So a net 130+ I would consider a trophy...here.

Im working on getting on a couple of hundred acres in Northern MO...does that count as IA?

BassBoysLLP wrote:Midwest. Latitudes between Central MO and Central WI...ideally below the winter severity index line (high snowfall). Preferably within 50 miles to a big river (Mississippi river, Missouri river, etc.) Big rivers often mean good soils. After that its the most important factor...AGE! Hunt pieces where bucks can mature or where the adjoining pieces allow them to mature. IA is the easy choice...limited draw on public...limited pressure, but any other state will produce if you can find an area where they can grow. Good luck on your journey.

Thanks...great stuff. The journey that never ends!

My wife calls it........................I forgot. I wasn't listening. busy reading on here.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:27 pm

trophy bucks come from wherever you let them grow up to become trophy bucks. sure some areas will produce more but your land is only as good as your neighbors.....meaning if everyone around you is killing immature deer your chances are greatly decreased.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”