Help with new property

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WSalzNC

Help with new property

Unread postby WSalzNC » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:34 am

Hey guys,
I hunted a new place on Saturday for the first time. It has some existing ladder stands but I'm not sure theyre set up right. Please give any feedback you can.

Notes:
• Have permission on RED-bordered area TO LEFT OF BLUE LINE; trying to get permission on area to right of blue line
I'm hunting with slug gun-- range out to 100 yards OK\
• GREEN LINE is path of does travelling about 7:30 AM
• Want to see mature bucks now, may shoot does close to end of season
• YELLOW rectangle on left is 3-year-old cutover, with CRP type grasses and some pines up to 5 feet.
• Field east of cutover is harvested soybean, with some low green grass now
• I hunted the SW ladder stand (facing North) on Saturday MORNING, wind from NNE—adjacent to the yellow box in a strip of timber running North/South along a gravel road that runs the length of the property
• 5:30 AM: Saw 2 deer when pulling onto property above Yellow box, they ran into cutover
• 7:30 AM: Saw 3 does travelling the green line shown-- I lost them behind me
• We think the young cutover on West side is doe bedding
• Would guess mature buck bedding is on East side of blue line on higher elevations (OK for us), or west of property across road on closed golf course (not good for us)
• No trail cams on property; don't know where actual beds are yet

Questions:
• Are the PURPLE sites marked “Sit?” appropriate for hoping to ambush a mature buck if he is travelling to/in doe areas?
• From which direction would you approach these sites?

Thanks!!

WSalzNC

Re: Help with new property

Unread postby WSalzNC » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:14 am

Any takers???....
DaHunter

Re: Help with new property

Unread postby DaHunter » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:36 pm

I would think the bucks would be up higher (near bottom SE ridge points) or in the thicker/protected area to the west (near water). If yiure in a state where bucks are still seeking/chasing does, then being downwind of that doe bedding might work. I'd probably be in between your purple dot and the green arrow, where the tree lines meet. Worth a shot, and at the very least, you observe how the deer move through the area. You'll need to get Intel thru cams, hunting, scouting, and juat knowing/learning buck tendencies. I'm no beast but there are A LOT of smart hunters on here who can help. GOOD LUCK

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”