How are the Doe numbers in your area? (Poll)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Doe numbers in your area?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:29 am

below average of past years
41%
above average of past years
37%
The same as past years
22%

Total votes: 41
Spysar
500 Club

Re: How are the Doe numbers in your area? (Poll)

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:27 am

Here's how it works here.

Does that live on private unhuntable land multiply like crazy. Does are just as smart . They know where there is no human activity.

Does that live on public or huntable land get wiped out.

DEC issues tags based on the deer that get hit by cars mostly. So they write tags like crazy. But the system is as flawed as it can be. They aren't targeting the areas that need it. If it were my world, doe hunting would end on public land and the permits would be issued private land only.

The real problem around here though, is people do what they want anyway. And people know the law enforcement around here is a joke.

The one that kills me is when DEC issues crop damage tags to farmers that don't allow hunting. DEC shouldn't issue tags to complainers that don't allow hunting.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:42 am

I hunt two pieces of private. One has very high doe numbers because it's across the street from a 1200 sanctuary. The other 4 miles away has lower doe numbers but still decent. Seems like the better buck hunting is where doe numbers are lower.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:25 pm

I have yet to shoot a doe this year... years pasted I would easily kill 4-5 a season. You gotta be a steward of the land... no when to kill and when to back off. They bounce back quick with good habitat!

But in general... everywhere I hunted this year, I have seen fewer does that in the past few years but I expect next year to be a BIG rebound (piles of fawns this year)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”