What did I do wrong and what do I do now?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mparsley

What did I do wrong and what do I do now?

Unread postby mparsley » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:28 pm

The ground I hunt is comprised of approximately 150 acres but 70 to 80% of it is 45 to 60° off the side of ridges. The deer seem to be traveling the transition line between the ridge and the drop. I was able to take a good 11 point off this ground last week. I had him pretty well staked out. A couple bucks seem to be bedding on the points of these ridges and a large group does is bedding on top of a ridge that is the location of an old home/cabin that has now grown up. The cabin also has a pond. The home place is not on my huntable property. However, the 11 point was taken within 100 yrds of the doe bedding area and around 70 yrds of his bed not far from the property line.

The point the 11 point was bedded on is a point off of a ridge that is really a large chestnut acorn/ white oak flat and adjacent to the doe bedoing area. I was able to get the 11 point in the morning last week but this a.m. on the way in, I kept bumping deer to the point that if I heard one blow I know I heard a dozen others. What's worse I bumped a lone deer on the way in in an intirely different spot full of white oaks and he didn't blow just stomped and then bolted. Afraid they may have been a buck by the sound of hooves. Lol. I am being as quiet as I can and the deer are not blowing until I am right on top of them. Today, when they started blowing judging by there tracks, they were 20 yrds away when they began to blow. Matter of fact they were right under my stand.

What am I doing wrong. It was dark when I was bumping these deer so I couldn't even hope to see anything, just the sounds of deer blowing. We had a pretty bright moon last night and the deer were feeding on the chestnuts and white oak acorns when I was bumping them.

What can I do? As near as I can figure, the only thing I can come up with is not hunt that stand in the morning until they have eaten all the acorns or turn it into an afternoon only stand. Thoughts or help is appreciated. Kind of lost.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Peeps22
500 Club

Re: What did I do wrong and what do I do now?

Unread postby Peeps22 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:11 pm

Not sure what state your located in but if theres a gun season going on, i would wait until its light enough to shoot and then slowly stalk to your stand. Make sure to glass more than you think you should. I think alot of people over look this tactic in the morning during a gun season...

Also you could get in reeeeaaallll early and hope to beat the deer in there. Thats how i shot my buck on the opener of gun this year. It gets light around 6:15am and i got into my stand and was sitting at 3:30am. I could actually hear the buck i shot walk into his bed and lay down in the pitch dark. He ended up getting bumped by another hunter and thats how i got my shot.

Just remember to think outside the box sometimes

mparsley

Unread postby mparsley » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:20 pm

Tennessee. Walking in at 4:30 this a.m. I will give these ideas a shot. I like the stalk idea.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:42 pm

If they are feeding there in the AM, I would let them have that spot and try to get around to the bedding from a different direction and cut them off when they return.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:02 am

Dan beat me to it. Hard to hunt the primary food source in the morning. If you know the direction of the deers escape route, I would setup in the direction 150yds+ from the oak flat you are currently setting up in.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:10 am

Yep evening hunts and new access routes, learn every possible bed to make a better plan of attack.
mparsley

Unread postby mparsley » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Thanks guys. I will plan an attack to flank them when they get done eating the acorns in the a.m. and drop off the side of the ridge on their way back to bedding. The drop off that they travel down creates a V with the ridge of the opposite side mountain wit a small spring/creek in the bottom.

I guess I will be sitting on the opposite hill waiting for them to get done eating and be waiting on them. Does this sound like the right plan of attack. Now I just have to figure out how to become part goat to climb the side of that hill.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”