Wisconsins 2015 gun season...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Wisconsins 2015 gun season...

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:17 am

Dan your a diehard with that thin Enigma Camo during the opening day snowstorm. :o

I have the same stuff and it's definitely warmer weather camo. I assume you were layered pretty good underneath. Then again maybe it didn't matter with the amount of action you guys have with drives and such. :think:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:18 am

Thanks - I could watch this stuff all the time. :clap:
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:53 am

dan wrote:
burkhart wrote:I'm goin to hand u a blank check and I'll pay whatever amount u put on it ;)

LOL... :lol: I got this design done and came up with another I like even more... Still working on the newest design. I hunted all gun season with these and they worked awesome. I like having 2 level feet, no loosening bolts, and no creaking paRTS... 8-)

I really like the thought of double steps and I think if you made them they would sell good. I hate constant bolts loosening and for setting up a huge benefit

Also nice video I enjoyed it.

Dan how are your drives to years past for number of deer and bucks and such? I realize it was way down with the kill them all we had for regulations. what is the current feeling you get.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:06 pm

Dan how are your drives to years past for number of deer and bucks and such? I realize it was way down with the kill them all we had for regulations. what is the current feeling you get.

We certainly put up a lot more deer than past years, but past years we usually put up at least one good buck... Numbers wise there seemed to be a lot of deer around me, but not a lot of hunters, and not to many other people got anything... I think with no holiday hunt, and the wet cattaiuls with no ice, a lot of deer survived and next year should be great.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:38 pm

dan wrote:
Did you make your own dual steps?
I designed and made the entire sticks...

That is interesting. I recall you saying that you thought the current lone wolf sticks weren't long enough. These are shorter.

I'm on the same page. Shorter stick, dual step, with steps slightly farther apart. I'm looking forward to seeing your prototype.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:50 pm

I enjoyed that video. Beast sticks sound interesting

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:20 pm

The video doesn't mention this but on the last day we started prepping our game plan for 2016. As we walked we evaluated what worked and what needed to change for next season. Be prepared for the opportunity!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:46 pm

Great video Dan, I really enjoyed it. :clap:

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:48 pm

Jeff G wrote:The video doesn't mention this but on the last day we started prepping our game plan for 2016. As we walked we evaluated what worked and what needed to change for next season. Be prepared for the opportunity!

8-)

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:53 pm

Cool video.

Please add me to the list of your dual step sticks. Lil hodag started hunting with a lone wolf this year and struggles a little hanging the stand standing offset on the steps. (he always wears his linemans belt and I don't leave him until he is settled in)

Dual steps would help a lot.

Do they nest with the current Lone wold sticks?

We could just but two sticks, one for him and myself, for the last stick when placing the stand.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:56 pm

Great video dan

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:07 pm

Jeff G wrote:The video doesn't mention this but on the last day we started prepping our game plan for 2016. As we walked we evaluated what worked and what needed to change for next season. Be prepared for the opportunity!

I'm already counting down the days Jeff! Going to make sure I have more days off so I can hunt the second weekend too! Can't wit to be thigh deep in swamp water!

Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Cool video! Obviously your drives are well orchestrated, numeral uno in doing drives! I've been part of not so orchestrated, never to participate again. Nicely done! If I hunted all of rifle it'd consist of tracking and drives

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:20 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:Cool video.

Please add me to the list of your dual step sticks. Lil hodag started hunting with a lone wolf this year and struggles a little hanging the stand standing offset on the steps. (he always wears his linemans belt and I don't leave him until he is settled in)

Dual steps would help a lot.

Do they nest with the current Lone wold sticks?

We could just but two sticks, one for him and myself, for the last stick when placing the stand.

The current version nests with L/W... Im not sure if the new one will. I may make it a little wider due to some issues im having with the one inch square sticks.... I might sell both models too... Not sure yet.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:27 pm

One interesting point, which is really the same every year, is that 90% of the deer jumped either left straight up wind, or straight down wind, with the majority leaving straight down wind (wind to back)

You kinda need to push them the way they want to go, and make sure you cover the back door if its down or up wind...

another big point is that you need to set up the down wind guys 1st... A lot of big bucks survive by sneaking out before the drive even starts.

With the snow we had over the weekend, I was able to look at tracks and it really surprised me to notice that deer slipped out real close to the standers on more than one occasion without being noticed...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”