Wisconsins 2015 gun season...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Re: Wisconsins 2015 gun season...

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:50 am

dan wrote:One interesting point, which is really the same every year, is that 90% of the deer jumped either left straight up wind, or straight down wind, with the majority leaving straight down wind (wind to back)

You kinda need to push them the way they want to go, and make sure you cover the back door if its down or up wind...

another big point is that you need to set up the down wind guys 1st... A lot of big bucks survive by sneaking out before the drive even starts.

With the snow we had over the weekend, I was able to look at tracks and it really surprised me to notice that deer slipped out real close to the standers on more than one occasion without being noticed...

Do you think the wooden ladders help a lot with keeping deer from sneaking by? In other words have you or your group members seen deer from the ladder that possibly would have sneaked past without it?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:50 am

Great video

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:09 am

Do you think the wooden ladders help a lot with keeping deer from sneaking by? In other words have you or your group members seen deer from the ladder that possibly would have sneaked past without it?

It certainly helps... Most of the spots we put the ladder, you wouldn't kill a deer with out it.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:32 am

dan wrote:

It certainly helps... Most of the spots we put the ladder, you wouldn't kill a deer with out it.

One of these times that ladder is going to accidentally disappear…... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:59 am

all kidding aside, i hate carrying that ladder, but it works really good. it is super sturdy and easy to sit on and shoot from. In the cattail ocean void of trees, it is a great tool.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:01 pm

Question about the ladder, dont you stick out like a sore thumb in that thing sitting above the cattails?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:19 pm

brkissl82 wrote:Question about the ladder, dont you stick out like a sore thumb in that thing sitting above the cattails?

Sometimes... In a gun drive in cattails it don't matter much cause the deer are down low in 6 foot cattails and have to look up to see you... When bow hunting out of them it is more important to get yourself against brush.
[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEMHGZE3mtY[/bbvideo]
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:32 pm

I also think next year will be a very good year. Wis. only killed 2-3% more deer compared to last year and i know there is a lot more than 2-3 % more deer than there was last yr. With this easy winter ( hopefully) we will see some really nice bucks from all over the state. As for my season, it was very uneventful. I saw 2 does in Price co opening day and one doe in Theresa Marsh the second Saturday. Sadly , my son Chas did not see a deer . We will give it a try for doe season and some muzzy season.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:33 am

Dan, when you and jeff were bumping those bucks out in the cattail ocean and they were jumping up way ahead of you, were they just bedding out in open cattails or were they on one of those dry humps like the one you showed in one of the clips? Didn't look like there was even a tree in on that dry hump. Looks like a spot you could only find by walking around in the cattails.

The only beds I have ever found in cattails had some brush around them to mark the hump AND they were within 100 yards of dry land. But I was curious if those bucks were just laying out in pure cattails.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:06 am

hunter_mike wrote:Dan, when you and jeff were bumping those bucks out in the cattail ocean and they were jumping up way ahead of you, were they just bedding out in open cattails or were they on one of those dry humps like the one you showed in one of the clips? Didn't look like there was even a tree in on that dry hump. Looks like a spot you could only find by walking around in the cattails.

The only beds I have ever found in cattails had some brush around them to mark the hump AND they were within 100 yards of dry land. But I was curious if those bucks were just laying out in pure cattails.

tHATS A GOOD QUESTION... The real beg buck was under a bush, but, there are a few areas within the cattails where deer bed in just cattails, sometimes you can see the transition edges of higher/lower cattails, sometimes not... They bed in cattails that are dry, not in water. And once you find the areas they repeat year after year. You can also look on google earth and zoom in with a fall pick to see the trail concentrations which are always denser near bedding.

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECya9HIPQ54[/bbvideo]
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:09 am

Thanks Dan, that is absolutely priceless info!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:52 am

When I'm in the cats either still hunting or pushing. I try to bounce from brush clump to brush clump. When still hunting I'll sneak through on the deer trails. But when pushing I'll be a little more deliberate because I'm trying to get the deer on their feet. The deer tend to bounce from clump to clump too. In the cattail sea the deer see to gravitate toward landmarks like a tree or dogwood clump. Their trails often time go right to these "landmarks."

I shot a big doe this year by following fresh tracks, slowly on a windy day while trying to keep the wind in my face. She jumped up at 15 yards. I couldn't get on any horns this year. Disappointing. But I love marsh hunting with the gun. The deer feel very comfy in the cats.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”