Streak of bad luck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigburner

Streak of bad luck

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:19 pm

I finally got in the woods today after loosing a giant on Vets Day. I headed in the woods about 8-8:30 and set up on the bed where my buck headed back to and gave it an all sit and see if things would maybe line up and I 'd get eyes on him. Great weather today but nothing really moved until about 1 pm. I had a button buck come in and he started eating red oak acorns and eventually bedded and loafed around about 20 yards away and did so until dark. I figured he'd be a great early warning system and he worked like a charm at about 4pm. He got to his feet and his ears perked up and he locked on something down wind. I look behind me and a really nice 130's 8 pt. was hung up and I figured this wasn't going to end to well but I gave him a grunt he started working his way in. I figured at any second he was going to come unglued but he got within 20 yards and stopped behind a holly tree. He was coming in over my right shoulder and it gave me time to get turned around and hooked up. he started walking straight in and there was no way I could have gotten drawn back. He stopped about 5 yards away and I was pretty exposed and looked up and I got picked off. He about jumped out of his skin and circled around counter clockwise and held up at about 30 yards. I drew back and settled the pin and sent the arrow his way. It looked great but he was wound up like a spring and he splayed out and dropped about 2 feet and the arrow harmlessly sailed over his back. He lit up the woods after that snorting and giving me the white flag salute. I don't know who I p o'd but what a freakin' drag. Bucks 2, Me zero.
I gave my buddy a call when I got out of the woods to see how his evening sit went and told him the news. He's a funny guy and he shoots me a back a text a couple seconds after I hang up the phone and it reads:

Buck be nimble
Buck be quick
Buck ducked your arrow
What a dick!

That about sums it up.................... :lol:

Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Streak of bad luck

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:52 pm

A moving buck is much less likely to see you drawback than a stationary buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:46 pm

The text part is very funny. It's good you can laugh about it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:49 pm

You win some... You lose some... At least your in the game.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:54 am

On the bright side, you are into good bucks.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”