Last Sit Of The Season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

IkemanTx
500 Club

Last Sit Of The Season

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:25 pm

So, I have ONE last afternoon sit left. The day before Thanksgiving, I get an afternoon to go out to a "new-to-me" section of a public piece where all but 1 of my only 6 sits of the season occurred. (I know, only 6 sits in an entire season is insane, but life got in the way). That day is right at the peak of the warm-up (66°) after a cold snap that hits tomorrow, and winds will be out of the southeast. I am going full beast style, absolutely mobile, and hitting a spot with ZERO time on the ground beforehand.
Here is the layout (red line marks property edge.)
ImageImage
My plan is to enter via the road on the southwest side of the piece, and travel the boundary line to the north until I find sign of crossing into the field pictured. After I find a decent travel corridor, I will turn east into the woods (downhill) and spot/stalk down the trail until I either find fresh sign to set up on, or continue utilizing the time for scouting if I don't find anything that is fresh enough to sit on. I will have my Lone Wolf on my back, and am contemplating changing clothes if I find a place to sit so what I walked/sweat in doesn't stink up the area. Although the southwest road borders the piece, it is definitely a VERY difficult way into the property. The whole west side of the place is 40%+ blowdown, and it is the roughest terrain on the place. I'm pretty sure no one else will have accessed it from the west so far this season. The hunters around here just aren't willing to go through that. Let me know if you see something that just begs to be seen, I'll hit it if I don't find any sign.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
mauser06
500 Club

Re: Last Sit Of The Season

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:44 pm

My only concern is they have issues forecasting wind hours ahead of time...

Looking numerous days ahead of time....I wouldn't plan on it...I'd plan on places for all the wind possibilities...that way when its dead wrong you aren't scratching your head looking at the map...

Good luck!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:14 pm

I have other locations if I am lucky enough to have different winds. A LARGE portion of the property cannot be accessed with a southeast wind, and this is just the best piece that can. Our winds this time of year are almost exclusively from the southeast or the northwest, I will sit one of my other locations if it ends up out of anywhere from NW to Due East.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:00 pm

You gun or bow hunting?

If your gun hunting, I would go in from the corner of the road in the S.W. Corner of the property and walk the land border north to the north border then drop down along the north border cross the river and go 2/3's up the hill and still hunt parallel to the river down to the south border.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:53 am

Sorry I didn't specify. Bow only property. Though I still may access it the same way you suggest Dan. I am completely ok if I don't find anywhere I want to set up though, it would just turn into a beast style scouting trip then.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:14 am

Good luck!

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:40 pm

Well, the weather didn't cooperate today. We had a couple small rain showers come through, and with each one the winds shifted to an odd direction and stayed that way for a couple hours. So, I scrapped my plan for a sit and decided to do some scouting instead. Found a couple good funnels, some heavy traffic areas, a stand or two, and even a homemade watering hole? Just so happens I jumped a buck from the base of that big tree next to it too.
One thing that intreaged me, was a COMPLETE lack of rubs. Not a one, and I covered a lot of ground. Saw a couple good size scrapes as well. I did see a couple of spots that look like they may be a scrape, but they are very discolored almost as dark as motor oil. Could urine darken that much?
Overall it went well, sat for just a little bit at the end of the night and really feel that I would have had a productive night if I hadn't walked all over the woods first. Definitely gave some good things to check after the season is over.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”