How to hunt a changing wind?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

How to hunt a changing wind?

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:36 am

I've encountered several days like this and would like input on how you guys hunt days like this. Tomorrow I'm planning on going out and the wind is changing from SE early to mid morning to a S wind, then an hour later to a S/SW wind, then a few hours later W and finally to NW NNW. So it's moving clockwise. However, hunting in ridges, where you'd expect bedding for a SE wind, it will be changing and eventually blowing your scent to the deer in a short time.

My main question is, in hill country, will bucks stay put and wait out the wind shift...so if they are bedding on the NW part of a ridge for a SE wind, will they stay there even with it moving? If so, I could potentially come in with the north wind. Or will they move in a wind shift like this and I could hunt the opposite side of another ridge catching them moving from possibly switching beds.

Ryan
500 Club

Re: How to hunt a changing wind?

Unread postby Ryan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:11 pm

I don't have much experience with this but the few times I've encountered it I've tried to hunt spots that are a general south wind where they could rotate on the points if it went from SW to SE vice versa and have a North spot picked out for midday to move. Almost every time Ive set up I've had the winds change in hill country

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Once the wind goes 180* or close to it, hunt a bed that is untouchable otherwise.

Or if it is rut, get high over a funnel.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:48 pm

Hunting smaller properties and wind that switches I often wait until later in the day to catch the last swing. I also have been known to stay home and watch football. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:27 am

PK_ wrote:Once the wind goes 180* or close to it, hunt a bed that is untouchable otherwise.

Or if it is rut, get high over a funnel.

Thanks PK! My one problem is I haven't found many beds, especially in hill country. Maybe 2 or 3. The rut is starting in some areas though.

Stanley wrote:Hunting smaller properties and wind that switches I often wait until later in the day to catch the last swing. I also have been known to stay home and watch football. :think:

That would have prob been my better choice given how many people were out for gun opener lol. But that's kind of what I was thinking about the later part of the day.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”