61 point Wisconsin buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

61 point Wisconsin buck?

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:03 am

A guy at work has been telling everyone and showing a pick on his phone of a buck his Dad shot in Northern Wisconsin thats supposed to have 61 points. Friends of mine that I trust say its legit. I don't know the guy, and he left to go hunting, but I am trying to get a hold of the pick.

Anybody hear about this?

Jackson Marsh

Re: 61 point Wisconsin buck?

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:06 am

:shock:

This will blow away the "turdy point buck"

[ Post made via Android ] Image
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:30 am

Jackson Marsh wrote::shock:

This will blow away the "turdy point buck"

Bananas at Large will have to regroup for a new version!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:30 am

Nada yet. I shouldn't be too long to come out if it's real.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:56 am

There was a post and photo of it on Shed Antler Addiction's FB page. I just went on there to try to get the picture but it appears the whole post has been deleted. The rack was very white and all of the tines were blunted, leading to a LOT of "high fence" comments. The very last comment I read this morning was something about a fence being cut on a deer farm in northern WI and this being the 2nd escapee shot. I don't know any of the true details, but it really did look like a high fence deer.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:14 am

Turdy points a side

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:21 am

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:29 am

hunter_mike wrote:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153437093894635&id=512859634

Yup, that's the picture I saw. I'm always rooting for the hunter but those colorless, blunt-tipped antlers have me making funny faces. :think:
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:31 am

SamPotter wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153437093894635&id=512859634

Yup, that's the picture I saw. I'm always rooting for the hunter but those colorless, blunt-tipped antlers have me making funny faces. :think:

Exactly..... It screams game farm.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:32 am

Agree that it looks high fence. Congrats to him regardless. Slammer for sure.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:40 am

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:49 am

Kinda looks like Brett Favre :lol:

PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:55 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Kinda looks like Brett Favre :lol:

I first exact thought!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:58 am

Interested to hear the true story on this buck. Seen some pretty freaky nontypicals killed over the years so appearance doesn't necessarily mean game farm. Hope it's legit.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:00 am

This is the story from the hunters FB page.
And here is the full story...

One of my father’s greatest joys in life was teaching me to hunt, especially the elusive Wisconsin Whitetail buck. He was a master hunter shooting over 60 deer in his lifetime most of them being Pope and Young class bucks. I have been deer hunting since I was 18 years old and have shot several deer scoring 120 or higher, but little did I know that yesterday continue my fathers legacy by taking a 61 point 240-50 class non typical buck. (official scoring is being attended to)... here are the details of the hunt...

I had been seeing this mature buck (likely 8 years old) regularly during the rut but he never came closer than 100 yards despite my best efforts using the best deer lure and every tactic I knew. It was November 17 and the rut was thinning. Gun season would open on Saturday and this was an old buck who walked slowly with a limp (and markings of fresh encounters with other bucks) and I knew had reached his time. So I headed out in a last stitch effort. Everything was right to hunt a big buck. The thermometer dropped to freezing overnight and I woke up a couple hours before light to a solid driving rain with moderate wind. Most people think this would be a recipe for terrible deer hunting, but I have learned to love these days when chasing the seasoned wise bucks. I had chosen to use a blind that would be downwind from the location where I had been seeing the buck that was strategically tucked away behind some evergreen trees on top of a ridgeline that would give me protection from the wind and rain and be unnoticed with a good field of view in multiple directions. It was just after noon that I spotted him laboring to chase a doe one tiresome step at a time. He was about 125 yards from my blind. I watched him for an hour travel upwind of me but he never came in. After 30 minutes it became evident that he would not be coming closer and was headed away from me. I could either wait in the blind and hope he came back in later but I had made that decision before and it hadn’t worked out. I decided I needed to take action. When the deer turned toward the doe and away from me I slipped out of the blind and down the back of the ridge out of sight of the buck. With the driving rain the buck wouldn’t hear me, especially since he was preoccupied with the doe. I headed crosswind under the ridge line moving one step at a time extremely slowly and cautiously traveling towards the direction the buck was moving. I could hear him crack a limb occasionally and positioned myself to come out in a thick field of trees downwind of him. After about 30 minutes I carefully emerged to find him right in front of me 60 yards and heading directly at me after the doe. I stayed tucked away behind a thick tree and low bush with nearly my face on the ground. With my kryptek camo and being downwind of the deer I would be unnoticeable. I took out my rangefinder and calculated carefully the exact landmarks that matched my Hoyt Pro Hawk Bow site pins… I have always felt like 40 yards is the longest you can make a well placed shot… so that was my mark. I practice at this distance regularly from the crouched position, standing, and out of a stand. I was confident I could make the shot. As the buck reached 40 I slowly pulled back said a prayer and leaned over the bush as I drew… the giant buck stepped forward right at my 40 yard mark and broadside. I breathed a steady breath slowly into my grunt call that I had been squeezing between my teeth as he turned his head right at me, we locked eyes. I aimed an inch high of the heart to account for the driving rain and squeezed the release. It was a perfect shot right through the heart. The buck continued to lock eyes with me and slowly slumped to the ground on his front legs. He dropped his head and drifted away within a minute. I was still motionless remaining still in the driving rain but knelt slowly to this giant buck giving him the last moments of respect to an amazing life.

I have four young boys that are between 4 and 9 years old that are all archers. My wife and I take every opportunity to teach them about the things we hold dear; following God with all their heart soul and mind, helping others in any way they can, protecting freedom, and respectfully hunting. They will grow up dreaming about these days and spending their life preparing for the moments when they need to gather the strength to rise to the occasion at hand and make the decisions needed to emerge victorious. The American Dream.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”