Big woods

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Big woods

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:04 am

I have a couple places in some big woods I've had success with but haven't hunted them much in the last few years; and not at all since finding the beast. For those of you that hunt big woods in northern Mi, Wi and Mn how do you apply your beast tactics? Most of my success was in very thick cedar swamps at midday. The area that I hunt is also pretty hilly and semi mountainous so I feel like hill country tactics could be pretty solid there too. I'm mainly looking to start cyber scouting now and put boots on the ground in the spring. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

headgear
500 Club

Re: Big woods

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:11 am

The hill and marsh tactics are solid, you just have to search a little harder and further to find the beds. Things can be a little more spread out too so think both big and small, big scales for food and does are no big deal but think much smaller when find a core bedding area.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:21 am

I focus on transitions just like they talk about in the marsh video. Have found though that thicker is generally better if you are on public land. Seems like the more open stuff gets hit by more hunters than the thick stuff.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:29 am

Do you guys sit the same stand several days in a row to catch them on their swing through or is it usually one and done for a location

fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:15 am

are you bowhunting or gun hunting?

I gun hunt the area that is kind of big woodish (it's not true big woods public), I will stand hunt it for opening weekend of gun season because the areas I sit have some of the better cover. I have never archery hunted it before, but I would think you'd want to stay on the freshest sign possible.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:31 am

During the rut you right want to pound the same stand for a while if you know you are near does or in a prime funnel, there is a lot of ground to cover and sometimes those bucks are out of town for a while before they come back. Other than peak runt I would be bouncing around a hunting fresh sets.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:44 am

fishlips wrote:are you bowhunting or gun hunting?

I gun hunt the area that is kind of big woodish (it's not true big woods public), I will stand hunt it for opening weekend of gun season because the areas I sit have some of the better cover. I have never archery hunted it before, but I would think you'd want to stay on the freshest sign possible.

Both late bow this season planning a week next season that overlaps the last few days of archery and first few days of rifle. Mainly wanting to scout n hunt it a bit over the next year because i plan on moving back to the area in a year or two. Are you using topos as a starting point?

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:46 am

headgear wrote:During the rut you right want to pound the same stand for a while if you know you are near does or in a prime funnel, there is a lot of ground to cover and sometimes those bucks are out of town for a while before they come back. Other than peak runt I would be bouncing around a hunting fresh sets.

Are you cyber scouting or mainly just boots on the ground for your prep?

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:21 pm

Mostly boots to grounds but some nice guess work has put me on bucks before.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:28 pm

In the big woods where I hunt, it is almost impossible to find a buck bed. I have found them , but few. I also look in the spring for sheds, old rubs and scrapes. I have an area where I have found sheds, buck skulls from wolf kills, rubs and scrapes. because of all these four signs, in one area I assume they are there in the fall and winter . This is where I hunt then. I was through there last week and also found some darn big hoof prints. There is a big buck in that area. I have not hunted this spot yet, but just outside the core area. Everything needs to be right. I dont want snow on the ground cause someone might follow me. Wind has to be from the north . SO, in a way, that is a type of beast hunting if you are trying for the bruiser that hangs in that area. I have only been successful one time in 26 gun seasons and 22 bow seasons when it comes to an older buck, and that was to some degree a fluke. Trophy hunting in the big woods is most likely the hardest hunt on earth, and I have found it all but impossible to succeed, although , I have not specifically hunted big bucks until I found the "BEAST" a few years ago. I am confident the day will come when I get a real bruiser beast style hunting. Up north beast style hunting is really hard, and almost impossible for the average hunter. Most big bucks are shot just by chance up north. I hunt Price and Sawyer co. Wisconsin.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:38 pm

headgear wrote:Mostly boots to grounds but some nice guess work has put me on bucks before.

Are you hunting specific beds or generally bedding areas?

fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:41 pm

cedarsavage wrote:

Both late bow this season planning a week next season that overlaps the last few days of archery and first few days of rifle. Mainly wanting to scout n hunt it a bit over the next year because i plan on moving back to the area in a year or two. Are you using topos as a starting point?

mostly aerials to start. The bing map for the area shows the trees with the leaves off so you can pick up on transitions really easily.

It has taken me a while to figure out just where to find deer but it is starting to cone together. One thing I have learned is that it is better to know a few spots well vs a lot of spots not so well

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:42 pm

ihookem wrote:In the big woods where I hunt, it is almost impossible to find a buck bed. I have found them , but few. I also look in the spring for sheds, old rubs and scrapes. I have an area where I have found sheds, buck skulls from wolf kills, rubs and scrapes. because of all these four signs, in one area I assume they are there in the fall and winter . This is where I hunt then. I was through there last week and also found some darn big hoof prints. There is a big buck in that area. I have not hunted this spot yet, but just outside the core area. Everything needs to be right. I dont want snow on the ground cause someone might follow me. Wind has to be from the north . SO, in a way, that is a type of beast hunting if you are trying for the bruiser that hangs in that area. I have only been successful one time in 26 gun seasons and 22 bow seasons when it comes to an older buck, and that was to some degree a fluke. Trophy hunting in the big woods is most likely the hardest hunt on earth, and I have found it all but impossible to succeed, although , I have not specifically hunted big bucks until I found the "BEAST" a few years ago. I am confident the day will come when I get a real bruiser beast style hunting. Up north beast style hunting is really hard, and almost impossible for the average hunter. Most big bucks are shot just by chance up north. I hunt Price and Sawyer co. Wisconsin.

Do you think they're not as habitual about bedding as farmland deer?

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:45 pm

fishlips wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:

mostly aerials to start. The bing map for the area shows the trees with the leaves off so you can pick up on transitions really easily.

It has taken me a while to figure out just where to find deer but it is starting to cone together. One thing I have learned is that it is better to know a few spots well vs a lot of spots not so well
Thanks

[ Post made via Android ] Image

ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:30 pm

cedarsavage wrote:
ihookem wrote:In the big woods where I hunt, it is almost impossible to find a buck bed. I have found them , but few. I also look in the spring for sheds, old rubs and scrapes. I have an area where I have found sheds, buck skulls from wolf kills, rubs and scrapes. because of all these four signs, in one area I assume they are there in the fall and winter . This is where I hunt then. I was through there last week and also found some darn big hoof prints. There is a big buck in that area. I have not hunted this spot yet, but just outside the core area. Everything needs to be right. I dont want snow on the ground cause someone might follow me. Wind has to be from the north . SO, in a way, that is a type of beast hunting if you are trying for the bruiser that hangs in that area. I have only been successful one time in 26 gun seasons and 22 bow seasons when it comes to an older buck, and that was to some degree a fluke. Trophy hunting in the big woods is most likely the hardest hunt on earth, and I have found it all but impossible to succeed, although , I have not specifically hunted big bucks until I found the "BEAST" a few years ago. I am confident the day will come when I get a real bruiser beast style hunting. Up north beast style hunting is really hard, and almost impossible for the average hunter. Most big bucks are shot just by chance up north. I hunt Price and Sawyer co. Wisconsin.

Do you think they're not as habitual about bedding as farmland deer?

Cedarsavage , these deer have no pattern or habits at all. When I track them in snow, they walk around like they are homeless , lost and drunk. They wonder around nipping browse, eating grass and leaves. The old deer trails have become so faint I can hardly tell where they are anymore. They bed down 90 % randomly. I found a buck bed last Oct. and it has not been used again as of last week. The only trail you may see is along a swamp. where there is a ridge near by. The reason I believe they do this is to keep the wolves wondering where they are. If they start following trails , going back and forth to feeding and bedding areas , the next pack of wolves will be all over them and they know it. It is extremely rare to see three deer in a bunch. Last Oct. I even saw a fawn by herself. She bleated a bit and I was quite sure the mom bleated back about 100yds away. Mom must be teaching them this tactic, and it is critical that learn it fast.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”