Potential land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BHC

Potential land

Unread postby BHC » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:57 am

I'm looking at leasing about 1549 acres. I have a few questions if some of you wouldn't mind sharing some expertise. First I'm thinking of getting it to have a place for family and a few friends to have a quality place to hunt and have some exclusivity. From the appearance the land around it has pretty low pressure. My opinion is that there is little we will be able to do to make that property grow bigger deer than it already does. I think the key making the hunting as good as it an be is to minimize hunter pressure, show some trigger finger restraint. So here's where my questions are. We would structure it like a club splitting the cost between members. There are currently about 10 .3 acre clearings for plots. Would likely just sow these in some clover. But there is about 14 acres of I forested area that is just thicket. I'd like to clear this out and have 12-14 acres of beans in the middle of the property. First what are the cost to saw 5 acres in clover. Second what would be the cost to sow 14 acres in soybeans. 3 how many guys can hunt 1500 acres and maintain low hunter pressure and everyone have some exclusivity. Assuming most everyone is weekend warrior and Holliday hunters.? Any info is appreciated!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Re: Potential land

Unread postby CRK925 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:34 am

If you clear that thicket there goes any chance of having deer bed on your land.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:57 am

It's just 14 acres of grown up area. The rest of the property is woods,over 1500 acres, mostly planted pines with some hardwoods hollows(maybe 350 acres) .. I was thinkin it would increase the carrying capacity and maybe more deer would bed on us..?

Rome

Unread postby Rome » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:30 pm

Have you had boots on the ground there yet? I wouldn't formulate a strategy of land manipulation until i saw how deer currently use the property. My assumption is that thicket is great bedding.

Number of guys is dependent on the specific guys. I personally rarely go in on leases with other guys, but when i do, we're all on same page. Hard to find that.

CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:52 pm

BHC wrote:It's just 14 acres of grown up area. The rest of the property is woods,over 1500 acres, mostly planted pines with some hardwoods hollows(maybe 350 acres) .. I was thinkin it would increase the carrying capacity and maybe more deer would bed on us..?

More food means nothing if you eliminate bedding. Bucks especially, do not just bed randomly. They will also travel a long way at night for food.

Unless you want to have land that is only good during the rut, I'd keep the thickest nastiest stuff and plant elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”