How to gun hunt/push marsh and islands? Methods?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

How to gun hunt/push marsh and islands? Methods?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:21 am

I'm taking a friend to a new place, we've never set foot on. Maybe few thousand acre wetland, mostly tall marsh grass, but some thick cedar areas. There are a few small islands I like to see on aerials away from woods out in the marsh, but a lot of bigger islands, maybe 2 to 5 acre. LOTS of deer trails connecting islands across marsh to woods.
I'm thinking walk transition to marsh and only go to islands showing rubs or better yet fresh buck tracks. Then set him(buddy) up on an exit, and I'll push around other side just inside wooded islands. There are so many islands, but mostly spread out. So many swamp trails connecting them, but it doesn't mean there in there now. Low deer density, MI area.

I know Dan and others bring a step ladder, I'm wondering about the rest of the strategy and how to get on deer fastest in an unknown place. Buddy has never shot a buck, only doe, newer hunter, but not new to shooting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: How to gun hunt/push marsh and islands? Methods?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:09 am

I've never really hunted like this, just have barely been able to get away from home this year. Walking and bumping seemed like it could be fun for a couple days. And, I will learn something about a new area, good or bad.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:43 am

Ladder is great but you have to know where the trails and beds are. I would put a stander on one of the main islands or points of mainland and have the other guy loop around to the peripheral smaller islands. Many times the trails cross those bigger islands or lead to those points.Take turns doing that. You will learn really quick where they are bedded and their exit trails. Could do same push a day or so later with the Intel. I have done that with success.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:04 am

PK's right! just remember what happens. If you have to take a small notepad and make notes. Note weather mainly wind direction. Other hunter pressure. Where a deer escapes to or from. Anything that seems relavent. It may work for next year.

The most successful deer drive hunters I know have years of notes to help them plan their attack.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:53 am

Thanks PK and Stash. Solid ideas. I usually do mental notes for this type of thing but writing down in my journal would be better long term.
I'm surprised no more comments, I thought this was a popular gun season method. I know it's a busy time of year around here, haha.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:00 am

I know it's too late for this year. But I have a GREAT book on driving deer. It's out on loan right now. But if your interested PM me your address and I'll get it to you when I get it back.

Also if you can find any of the older Wensel brothers videos. They had alot on driving in them. They only used bows.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”