When to pass a buck, and when to remove his genetics from th

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: When to pass a buck, and when to remove his genetics fro

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:07 am

whitetailassasin wrote:And I'd like to add that I was more wondering what guys who have genetic issues where they have lots of bucks with smaller racks, over better quality racks, do with deer that seem to have genetic differences, do you shoot a buck at 3.5 if he's not reaching the potential your after, or do you let him keep growing older pursuing better horns, over age of a lesser quality buck. I have saw, and documented, bucks in my home state at taxidermists who are in the 70-80 range at 3.5-4.5, my taxi has been aging teeth for awhile and this is an area of interest to him. I'd be proud to shoot a buck 4.5 with a score of 50, but self admitted I don't really like his genetics being spread :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I actually hunt in one of those areas - there is very few bucks going to go over 150 from the public lands I hunt. A solid 125 is a good buck.... so for me I try to find the "best" buck I can and that is usually an older animal and something over 110 inches and then hunt that, or in my case, those bucks from various lands I hunt. Now when I go to Ohio I am looking for antler not age. A solid 140 3 1/2 year comes by and I am going to do everything in my power to slip a big simmons through his chest. I know there are a few 170+ bucks running round but I am rut hunting and only for 5 -7 days a year so I usually don't hold out for them to show as during the rut they move around these farms a lot.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:25 am

whitetailassasin wrote:And I'd like to add that I was more wondering what guys who have genetic issues where they have lots of bucks with smaller racks, over better quality racks, do with deer that seem to have genetic differences, do you shoot a buck at 3.5 if he's not reaching the potential your after, or do you let him keep growing older pursuing better horns, over age of a lesser quality buck. I have saw, and documented, bucks in my home state at taxidermists who are in the 70-80 range at 3.5-4.5, my taxi has been aging teeth for awhile and this is an area of interest to him. I'd be proud to shoot a buck 4.5 with a score of 50, but self admitted I don't really like his genetics being spread :lol:

I think the poor genetics is from decades of heavy hunting pressure with most young specimens getting killed leaving the inferior to do the breeding. I read some places in Iowa and Illinois that use to produce large amounts of booners are no longer because of outfitters and most of the larg specimens being knocked off. Some of those areas the mature bucks are now only 130". Over populations of does I think can effect antlers also.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:13 am

From everything I've learned about biology it would take centuries to alter genetics from an area? Maybe something else is behind it like poor minerals/soil from bad farming practices???

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:13 am

From everything I've learned about biology it would take centuries to alter genetics from an area? Maybe something else is behind it like poor minerals/soil from bad farming practices???

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:17 am

On public pressured land I would not worry about your role in genetics and would shoot bucks your happy with.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:44 am

Surprised to see this going again!!!

I agree that too much emphasis is put on antler scores. I know I'm guilty of it. To this date my best whitetail bucks only score in the 120's. But I'm still very proud of them and all my smaller bucks. I'm disappointed in myself for all the bigger bucks I've missed. But looking back treasure the experiences.

As WA pointed out. "Culling" a low scoring 4 year old doesn't hurt. But unless this is practiced by numerous hunters it won't make much difference in herd quality. Especially antler size. Passing younger bucks does improve herd quality. But won't always influence antler size very significantly.

As far as highly populated areas of deer. I read somewhere. That it does effect the deer's genetics. They tend to start choosing genetics for smaller body mass sized deer. So their food intake is less demanding. Allowing the food resource to go farther. Less body mass usually means less antler mass.

This is similar to how a trout stream works. Any stretch of stream is capable of growing a certain number of pounds of fish. No more no less. You can have a stream with almost all large fish, but with low overall reproduction (big fish need to eat. In this case they eat most of the young they produce). Or one with high reproduction but mostly small fish (this can be seen by having older fish with heads that seem disproportionately large for their body). What's best overall is a balance in the middle. With good reproduction, balanced age structure with a mix of small to large sized fish.

Most of us need to hunt what we are given. If the best buck in an area is a 80" 2YO. That's what our goal should be. If the best the area provides is what we're after. Then be happy and very proud of it!!!

Then as far as goals go. Personally my next huge goal is to kill a buck at least 3YO and have a rack that grosses above 130". Now considering my health. Which didn't allow me any scouting time before green up. I may need to adjust that for now. Depending on how my summer scouting (cameras, observation sits, shining) goes.

Yes it may be hard to wait another year to accomplish this. But considering how my last decade has gone any buck will be a huge accomplishment.

Just an example of how things not related to hunting can affect our goals also.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:14 am

dan wrote:On public pressured land I would not worry about your role in genetics and would shoot bucks your happy with.

I agree, I guess to pass the off season, and create a topic to discuss, I was looking to see others views on something I've often pondered. Was great to see all the answers and viewpoints.

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:34 am

I don't worry about genetics where I hunt. I'm hunting mainly public and small pocket private where I know genetics is pretty much uncontrollable. Maturity is my decision maker.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”