Ohio...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mihunter101

Re: Ohio...

Unread postby mihunter101 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:33 pm

Spysar wrote:I can't think of a worse place to go. The place gets absolutely pounded by non residents that come from the south and east cause that's the first state you hit with a good reputation. Be prepared for a tough hunt.

Spysar;
Which states would you recommend instead?

Let's go Brandon!
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:20 pm

Been hunting the rut in Ohio the past 4 seasons and honestly I wouldn't have a problem hunting the third week. Pressure hasn't been an issue as I have been on private land, but I can see where the first week of November would be busy on the public land, and second week is typically lock down time. You should be good.....the less pressure the better off you'll be.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:40 am

mihunter101 wrote:
Spysar wrote:I can't think of a worse place to go. The place gets absolutely pounded by non residents that come from the south and east cause that's the first state you hit with a good reputation. Be prepared for a tough hunt.

Spysar;
Which states would you recommend instead?

I'd take a serious look at Virginia, or west Virginia .....Never been to either to hunt, but they seem like they have potential, without all the talk.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
mrjbigfoot
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MikeRTJohnson

Unread postby mrjbigfoot » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:14 am

I live in Ohio & have hunted public land the last 3 years. Was definitely surprised to see all the non-resident bow hunters on State Lands the 1st week of November all 3 years but I was pleasantly surprised to not see so many in the Wildlife Area & Wayne Nat'l Forest (Athens Region) that I hunted this year, during the 1st week of November. I did have to contend with some local rabbit hunters blasting rabbits & squirrels at one spot in the wildlife area for part of 1 afternoon but I harvested my big fat buck out of that same stand the next morning!
nathan5004

Unread postby nathan5004 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:43 pm

I hunted in Ohio for the first time this year and spent 6 days in the Marietta unit of the Wayne in the first and second weeks of November. I in those 6 days I saw 6 bucks, 2 does and 1 other hunter. A couple of those bucks were nice and one was a trophy. From what I can tell, deer densities are low in that area, but so is hunting pressure in bow season.

mrjbigfoot wrote:I live in Ohio & have hunted public land the last 3 years. Was definitely surprised to see all the non-resident bow hunters on State Lands the 1st week of November all 3 years but I was pleasantly surprised to not see so many in the Wildlife Area & Wayne Nat'l Forest (Athens Region) that I hunted this year, during the 1st week of November. I did have to contend with some local rabbit hunters blasting rabbits & squirrels at one spot in the wildlife area for part of 1 afternoon but I harvested my big fat buck out of that same stand the next morning!

Which State lands had a lot of pressure and which Wildlife area didn't, mrjbigfoot?
mrjbigfoot
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MikeRTJohnson

Unread postby mrjbigfoot » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:20 am

Burr Oak State Park had a bunch of non-res. hunters, which was close by where I was at in the Trimble Wildlife area this year & I scouted a bunch of Wayne Nat'l Forest in the same general area without seeing the load of non-res. hunters like I did at Burr Oak, Dillon & Blue Rock State Parks in the last 3 years. I also scouted some of the AEP Lands, last year & didn't see as many either. Hunted some private land that bordered AEP Lands near Coshocton & saw some nice bucks on the bordering AEP land.
backstraphunter

Unread postby backstraphunter » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:48 pm

that's funny that all the non res hunted first week in nov by me in south east ohio I hunted 15 to 18 days off and on from opening day in sep too 2 weeks ago today and was just there for youth with my daughter and nephew and the rut is now in full swing and bucks are on there feet all day

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”