anyone hunt whitetails in Saskatchewan?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinfool14
500 Club

anyone hunt whitetails in Saskatchewan?

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:47 am

just wondering if anyone on this site or people you know that go to Saskatchewan to hunt whitetails? im headed there the day after thanksgiving to give it a try..picked out an outfitter and gonna dress warm..just wondering if anyone has ever hunted canada and if they have, have you had any luck doing so?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: anyone hunt whitetails in Saskatchewan?

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:50 am

I have not hunted there... But friends have voiced to me that although the hunting can be great, most of the Outfitters there put you over a pile of corn.
ramblinman

Unread postby ramblinman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:41 am

you will enjoy it. Have hunted there and Alberta a couple of times in the past. I suspect they will put you in a stand and have you sit there from sun up to sundown. be patient, big boy could step out at anytime. It's some thick country. Look hard at the horns, cuz they have some big bodies, which can fool you on antler size. might be bigger than it appears.

My brother has been searching for a concession up there to buy. He has searched Alberta and Sask. He would love to outfit for deer,bear and ducks,etc. Curious on who you are hunting with? personally, if I had the opportunity, I would skip Wi deer hunting and hunt Canada or hunt the first 3-4 days and go to canada. Hopefully we can can offer some deer hunts to some beast members in the future.

I have tried to get my fiance to move up that direction, but She will only go as far as Roseau, MN. My only concern there is work and I don't know how great the deer hunting is. I just need to do some research. I should post that question to some members, maybe they have some insight.

Dress warm, it can get cold
ramblinman

Unread postby ramblinman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:02 am

huntinfool, Any luck in Canada? Let us know how your hunt was and who did you hunt with?
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:31 am

the outfitter was kutawagon outfitters, in choiceland, saskatchewan..everyday the weather was -4F to 0F degrees..with about 10 inches of snow..if you want to see deer its the place to go..id see an average of 10-20 different buck a day and 20-30 doe..deer all day long..just nothing big that i wanted to shoot..they had some great deer on camera..they just wouldnt show up during daylight hours..i went with 3 guys..me, my dad and my great uncle..my dad tagged out the last day on a 135 inch 9 point..but other than that my uncle and I had some great opportunitys and some nice ones early in the week...but decided to pass and went home empty handed..i will definetly be going back up to saskatchewan sometime..maybe not next year but i will be back! great experience and will never forget it..
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:40 am

Been up there three times myself. I thought it was awesome, and an experience any deer hunter would love. The most silent wildness you will ever deer hunt in.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:28 am

A Sask buck is on my bucket list.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:37 am

This is the largest of the three I got there.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:39 am

Spysar wrote:This is the largest of the three I got there.

Great looking buck!!! Man you have really shot some GREAT bucks!! Do you have a wall of fame picture of all your bucks?
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:11 am

spysar...which part of saskatchewan where you hunting in? and did you have an outfitter take you or just hunted some private land?
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:48 am

huntinfool14 wrote:spysar...which part of saskatchewan where you hunting in? and did you have an outfitter take you or just hunted some private land?

As far as I know, it's not legal for a non resident to hunt without an outfitter. The owners of the place I went actually live in the states. The guy who runs it is a really awesome super hard working guy, and we are still friends.

I was in the northern remote "bush" country. It's near the whitetails northern fringe. I was on the western side, north of Meadow Lake. Way up there. I still remember the northern lights.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”