Safety trumps wind and terrain

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

maukings

Safety trumps wind and terrain

Unread postby maukings » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:37 am

Hunted two properties today. With a southwest wind my options were limited. I looked for points on the Lee side of the ridge and set up my stand. Within the four hours I was sitting there I saw at least three pairs of hikers at the distance. So as I was leaving the property I came across a couple of guys who had bagged an eight pointer of a decent size and they told me they went far southwest of the property where it doesn't really make sense and they managed to find his buck after he was kicked up by horseback riders. I left the property and went to another one heading again towards the leeside of the ridge only two again see multiple hikers walking on the main trails. Surprisingly I encountered two bucks on my way out coming out of the southern part of the property where again it does not make sense to hunt that but that's the part with the least amount of traffic. Should I disregard stand placement and just go where people don't?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

wihunter

Re: Safety trumps wind and terrain

Unread postby wihunter » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Well on one hand it's never fun having other people around but you never know if they will scare something your way. Were the bucks moving together or did you see them at different spots?
maukings

Unread postby maukings » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:24 pm

Well horseback riders are common at the first property and they did kick up the 8 pointer for these guys. Second property is big woods and I saw a big buck crossing one of main hiking trails at 2pm as soon as I started walking in from the parking lot. He froze and so did it. I just waited for him to leave before making any other moves. The second buck was on the way out as well. I'm trying out tinks 69 for the first time. Firearms weekend starts on Friday and the whole place will go crazy.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:54 pm

Bucks bed and travel in more than just Leeward hill sides... I have always stated that the over looked areas with the least human intrusion have the best bucks. The best case scenario is to find where the bucks should be, but people aren't.
maukings

Unread postby maukings » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:26 am

Thanks. I know the south side of the property is so thick you would have to get on your knees to get to it. There's also a small section of huge pines that looks and feel a lot safer than the open wood lots around them. Would you treat this as a transition area?

maukings

Unread postby maukings » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:42 am

What role does wind play in these high traffic areas? Will they try to play it but not necessarily follow ridge lines?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”