Busted!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Busted!

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:25 pm

Well I found a small ridge that wasn't marked on a topo overlooking some flooded hardwoods, I scouting the area in February and found a couple good spots but never found a good North wind bed- but a bed for every other wind. Judging by the rub height and tree damage it all seemed to lead towards the same buck.

So tonight, with a NE wind I snuck in on the ridge I suspected him to be bedded, wind over back overlooking the flooded hardwoods. There's essentially only way to hunt this area unless you make a massive "J" below him and try to sneak through the water which seems almost impossible.

As I was slowly working my way across the ridge, I hear a deer take off on the opposite edge. I was roughly 120-150 yards from the deer and never caught a glimpse but I knew I had been spotted because I was just South of him on the ridge. I'll admit I was in a rush because I got a late start and could have been quieter but he must be accustomed to people entering from the East.

My question is the North bed is a bust, but what about his other beds I've marked? I have his East wind and West wind beds located and they're all in a relatively close proximity to each other... Will he vacate the area completely and go deeper into the swamp or do I have a second chance to tag him?

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Twenty Up
500 Club

Re: Busted!

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:05 pm

By the lack of responses I figured the jig is up.. Maybe I'll have better luck next year with him, the season for this particular area closes tomorrow for the 2015 season. Looking forward to finding his beds come February though!

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:10 pm

I would get back in there id you properly hunt the wind. Give yourself enough time to do so stealthily...2 hours or more if that is what it takes to sneak in.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:14 pm

Just saw this....I hate you got busted but if you have only one more day then get back in there -quietly- give it a shot. What do you have to lose? Weather is good tomorrow.

Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:04 am

Sounds like to me the placement of where the buck bedded worked for him in this instance, he was able to escape danager, he'll be back in there

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Matt6506 wrote:Sounds like to me the placement of where the buck bedded worked for him in this instance, he was able to escape danager, he'll be back in there

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I agree he's a seasoned buck that's accustomed to being hunted. Scouting will reveal my flaws and possibly a chink in his armor.

WSalzNC

Unread postby WSalzNC » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:02 pm

mheichelbech wrote:I would get back in there id you properly hunt the wind. Give yourself enough time to do so stealthily...2 hours or more if that is what it takes to sneak in.

This is where I am with a buck I jumped yesterday from a really promising bedding area. To go back in it will take me possibly 2 or more hours to walk down a sister ridge, up a creek, then sneak up onto his ridge into range to set up on this guy. It's all I can think about though. Will get him this year or next, if I'm lucky.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Last week I busted a buck two days in a row off his bed on a ridge and got a shot on hims few days later coming out of it.

I like your j hook through the water idea. I use standing water a lot, go slow you can be absolutely silent. Use a walking stick to keep your balance.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”