Specific Wind/Thermal question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

howalex

Specific Wind/Thermal question

Unread postby howalex » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:15 am

Hi All,

This is my first official post to the Hunting Beast. Been following for a couple years now and love the practical advice given by Dan and the other beast members.

I have a specific question. I was driving to work today past a piece of public land. From the road I spotted a nice buck standing on a brushy hillside right off the road at about 9:20 AM. First set of questions. Do you think he was bedding there for the day, tending a doe, just cruising through? Do you think he will be back there in the morning (same wind as today).

Second set of questions. If I decide to hunt this spot, what's some advice on setting up. I'm not sure if a thermal will be in effect here. The wind is WNW 10-15 MPH. The buck was spotted where the red dot is. I wasn't sure with the adjacent hillside being higher and steeper if this would block the sunlight rising from the East and therefore prevent a thermal effect? So, wondering if I should set up high (upwind but high in my tree) or low (downwind)?

https://goo.gl/photos/48B2r98uxE34viA29

Thanks guys,

Alex

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Specific Wind/Thermal question

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:09 pm

Looking at your image, I would expect he was either bedding there, or a doe he was with was... I would not set up below him, you will more than likely get busted. I would set up north of him at about the same elevation unless I had intel that he was heading a different way... Might be in your best interest to glass him one day before moving in, unless he was with a doe... Then you need to hunt right away.
howalex

Re: Specific Wind/Thermal question

Unread postby howalex » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:11 am

Thanks for the input Dan. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Ended up trying to hunt him the next morning and I'm pretty sure I bummed him walking in 2 hours before daylight. Thinking about trying to set up a trail cam or glassing him from the adjacent hillside over lunch to confirm he's still around.

Thanks again, Alex

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”