Iowa Guys

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Iowa Guys

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:47 am

I'm probably going to get a job offer in the Cedar Rapids area. Looking for input from guys within a 1.5-2hr radius of there. How is the hunting by Iowa standards? What are my chances of getting access to private ground? How much public within 2 hours? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post in the thread. Thanks!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

kurt

Re: Iowa Guys

Unread postby kurt » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:17 am

Not to hi jack the thread but all the bucks you put down in I believe Michigan. I have a feeling ill see some Iowa slobs in the kill zone from you if this happens.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:54 am

kurt wrote:Not to hi jack the thread but all the bucks you put down in I believe Michigan. I have a feeling ill see some Iowa slobs in the kill zone from you if this happens.

I agree. Couple of fellow beasts have told me I need to throw my hat in the ring for some out of state hunts, and Ohio is first on my list this year. Preference points for Iowa, and a couple other states on my radar very soon(like next season :lol:) good luck seaz!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zonk54

Unread postby Zonk54 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:07 pm

I live in the CR area. You will be about 2hrs south or north of excellent hunting. There is also a big public area just south of here I haven't scouted yet. Looks like marsh tactics would work there. Private can be tough to get on but I don't like to knock on doors.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:32 pm

Cedar Rapids is the second largest metropolitan area in the state. I also think you'll need to get away from the area a 2 hr ride will put you in better deer country and away from some of the hunters.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:00 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:
kurt wrote:Not to hi jack the thread but all the bucks you put down in I believe Michigan. I have a feeling ill see some Iowa slobs in the kill zone from you if this happens.

I agree. Couple of fellow beasts have told me I need to throw my hat in the ring for some out of state hunts, and Ohio is first on my list this year. Preference points for Iowa, and a couple other states on my radar very soon(like next season :lol:) good luck seaz!

Yea man, get out of state. I saw the two biggest bucks I saw all year in two days in Ohio. I killed one and had my buddy setup on the other one, but it never got closer than 55 yards. I'm still a rookie and I'm sure a guy with your skill set would do real well.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:05 pm

Stanley wrote:Cedar Rapids is the second largest metropolitan area in the state. I also think you'll need to get away from the area a 2 hr ride will put you in better deer country and away from some of the hunters.

Thanks Stanley. I kind of assumed this, but having never been to the state, I wanted to hear from some locals. Odds are low that I'd accept the job because I have good opportunities here, but a guy only lives once and I'm pretty obsessed with hunting whitetails...so who knows. Might be fun for a few years.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:12 pm

Even if you have to travel more than a few hours being able to get a deer license as a resident is huge. One huge obstacle taken care of and the rest is gravy.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:54 pm

Its a good area. I have some engineering friends that work for Deere. Do all engineers in IA works for Deere? :lol: You can be in a lot of good areas in 2 hours. They shoot good bucks every year since moving out. You should fair well.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:27 pm

Dewey wrote:Even if you have to travel more than a few hours being able to get a deer license as a resident is huge. One huge obstacle taken care of and the rest is gravy.

This is exactly my thought process.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:32 am

I live just south of CR. You don't have to travel far too get on great ground. The urban hunt in CR has produced some ridiculous giants. The public area just south of CR is called Hawkeye Wildlife and is roughly 15K acres, it is very good but also sees a lot of pressure. When you accept the position give me a PM and we'll hook up. I hunted around Hawkeye a lot and would be happy to help.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”