Help!!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mathews418

Help!!!!

Unread postby mathews418 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Ok fellas I am still new to the sight but asking for some insight on my setup now that I have some good Intel on this deer.
He has been seen in the hay field multiple times this year from early season right up till about 30 minutes ago per my mom calling and telling me he was out with 3 does. I do feed but but I do not hunt over it. Primary purpose is to keep the does coming. Marked with the red dot is corn apples and trail cam. I have multiple pics of him even in velvet eating there but of course no daylight pics and I know he is not living on this property he is coming from somewhere else. The rut is just now picking up and I have the next 3 days to hunt him. West wind all three days and stand location is marked by green dot. my game plan is to set up there with the west wind so it is in my favor if I catch them leaving the corn pile early in the morning. My scent will blow out over the cut over which I will be about 90 ft above because it is in a bottom. I can shoot the cutover too (muzzle loader). From what I have seen this year the does follow the transition of hardwoods and the cut around to the north side to go to bed. I plan on sitting all day even with the temps getting up to 70 tomorrow and the solunar is calling for great mid day movement. I will be set up on kind of a small point that also has several big white oaks that they have been feeding on as well. Do you think I have this figured out for this situation. Red lines will mark predicted travel.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

WSalzNC

Re: Help!!!!

Unread postby WSalzNC » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:44 am

Interesting problem solving exercise....I'm no expert and just learning like you. So I'll ask a question: would it make sense to place your stand on the other side of the trail up by where it curves down into that bottom? You would have to cross the trail (the risk there is if your scent gets on the trail by crossing it), but from up there your scent wouldn't blow right over that bottom area. Currently, you are covered if he comes from the corn pile, but not as well if he comes in the opposite direction.

I suppose there are multiple wind scenarios that may come into play-- you mentioned one, which is that your scent may blow over the bottom altogether (good for you). Another is that a thermal draft may push air back up the hill from the bottom (also good for you).

Does the wind there have a tendency to swing either NW or SW?

Also, is there any location where you could shoot him on the trail or in the field, like the roof of the brown house? :D
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Help!!!!

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:44 am

I like the spot you have marked.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”