How long does ground scent linger?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

How long does ground scent linger?

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:18 am

Twice this week ive had bucks hit my ground scent 2-3 hrs after i walked through. Both reacted in a negative manor. What r your experiences with this n how long do you think the scent will spook deer after u walk through? In one instance i had on my nikes.. The other rubber boots.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: How long does ground scent linger?

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:19 am

Indefinitely. It just reduces to non alarming levels. This is typically on the order of days.

Hauntedwaters

Unread postby Hauntedwaters » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:30 am

I had my first run in with ground scent this year. Had two does blow, one big buck turn and trot off, and one little doe take off on a dead sprint. The reactions were so alarming I think it was maybe coyote scat/scent. It was near a watering hole. Thankfully it rained the next day.

I wondered the same thing you did, however. Good topic.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:33 am

There are many factors that effect how long. But it definitely does disperse

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:20 am

Intetesting point on the rain haunted.. But heres another small detail i left out. When the buck hit my rubber boots trail it had been raining steady for 2 hrs straight n he still bugged out.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:37 am

Animals with extreme scenting ability smell things better when it's damp out. That's why lion hunters out west love tracking after it rains or snows.

Yes eventually rain washes the scent out but it must have still been present in a high enough concentration to alarm them.

I've seen bucks follow estrus doe trails 24 hours later.
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:39 am

I also think ots very deer specific on how much they react to ground scent. Ive seen it where a nice buck crossed my access trail and had his nose down the whole time and never even skipped a beat. That same day another buck came cruising through and locked up on my trail and high tailed it outa there without even thinking twice.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:41 am

stash59 wrote:Animals with extreme scenting ability smell things better when it's damp out. That's why lion hunters out west love tracking after it rains or snows.

Yes eventually rain washes the scent out but it must have still been present in a high enough concentration to alarm them.

Takes a lot if rain to diminish scent enough for deer not to be alarmed if you are in their comfort zone. How much time and rain is at least multiple days.

Cadaver dogs scent check lakes and rivers looking for bodies. This is while in a boat with open water and over ice in the winter.

Don't be fooled that rain will wash scent away quickly, as stated above, moisture will magnify scent.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:56 am

I'll take a good dry windy day over calm damp rainy days. Your scent will dissipate way faster on dry windy day compared to a misty day. On a dry windy day your scent is not falling straight down to the ground for one. Think of it like this drop some flour on a windy day and it is distributed over a big area. Drop some flour on a wet misty no wind day and that flour goes straight to the ground and sticks like paste. :think: Now once stuck to the ground the wind cant blow it away either so boom. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:16 am

Probably at least a week... Longer in some cases. Rain and wind break it down faster. I believe thru observation that deer can tell how old the scent is and that scent reduction really don't help much, they still can age it. Just this season, I have had deer freak out on scent that mostly in water wearing rubber boots, then, another deer fed directly down wind of me for over an hour crossing my ground scent several times and I was wearing my work boots and clothes... They all react differently, and by exactly where the scent is located based on where they expect it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:20 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
stash59 wrote:Animals with extreme scenting ability smell things better when it's damp out. That's why lion hunters out west love tracking after it rains or snows.

Takes a lot if rain to diminish scent enough for deer not to be alarmed if you are in their comfort zone. How much time and rain is at least multiple days.

Cadaver dogs scent check lakes and rivers looking for bodies. This is while in a boat with open water and over ice in the winter.

Don't be fooled that rain will wash scent away quickly, as stated above, moisture will magnify scent.

Sprinkles and light rain certainly it takes a lot... But, after heavy rains I have never seen deer react negatively to my scent... I would imagine there are variables, but long or heavy rains have worked well for me to get away with going into bedding areas and scouting, setting cameras, etc. with positive results.
Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:36 am

Stanley wrote:I'll take a good dry windy day over calm damp rainy days. Your scent will dissipate way faster on dry windy day compared to a misty day. On a dry windy day your scent is not falling straight down to the ground for one. Think of it like this drop some flour on a windy day and it is distributed over a big area. Drop some flour on a wet misty no wind day and that flour goes straight to the ground and sticks like paste. :think: Now once stuck to the ground the wind cant blow it away either so boom. :think:

I had trail cam footage last summer of a doe hitting my ground sent and going ballistic after I had set the cam the day before. Within an hour of me setting the cam we had a ripper thunderstorm roll through dropping 1" plus of rain. That doe still reacted to the ground sent...

I'd much rather have very dry, low humidity, windy days for washing away sent, as Stanley and others have pointed out.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:45 am

On more than one occasion I have walked in during heavy rain wearing hip boots and head to toe rain gear thinking my scent would be washed away. I was wrong. 4-5 hours later when reaching my trail deer will still completely go on alert on my scent. I never believed in a free hunt or scout theory if it rains after witnessing this so many times. If anything the moisture makes your scent even more powerful like others have said.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:47 am

Deer can definitely age scent. Not too often do you see bucks go the the wrong way on an older hot doe trail. Even if they do it doesn't take long to correct and reverse travel. I have seen this may times over the years.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ridgerunner8

Unread postby ridgerunner8 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:04 am

I once went to a Gene Wensel seminar and He said , if sit down here on the ground a deer will smell You at that spot for a week !

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”