Snow tracking during gun seasons

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Snow tracking during gun seasons

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:11 pm

It's not looking good for snowcover in the northwoods for the gun openers. Been gun hunting up north for many years and my desire always goes way down with lack of snowcover and warm temps. Sitting in a tree in these conditions is almost torture for me since I like cold and snow for gun hunting.

The last few years I have been getting into snow tracking more due to very low deer numbers and trying to make something happen instead of waiting on stand for deer that are not there anymore. Finding that tracking is more my style for the gun season and want to take it to the next level continuing to learn along the way. I really enjoy this and can't get enough reading the Benoit and Hal Blood stuff soaking up everything I can. My regret is that I didn't get into this many years ago when I was much younger. Never too old to learn a new trick I suppose.

I'm actually thinking about skipping opening weekend and waiting for better conditions later near Thanksgiving or during the muzzleloader season after the hunting pressure drops way down. For me that's tough to give up on traditional deer camp but seems to be the direction I'm gradually going over the years. Tough to break out on your own but sometimes needed to grow as a hunter.

Wondering if anybody else is headed down this road? I know we have quite a few guys that have been tracking with success for quite some time like Magic Man. Interested how others feel about ditching treestands and taking up tracking instead. I really think it's a lost art that very few do anymore and needs to be carried on for future generations.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Justin85

Re: Snow tracking during gun seasons

Unread postby Justin85 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:43 pm

Dewey wrote:It's not looking good for snowcover in the northwoods for the gun openers. Been gun hunting up north for many years and my desire always goes way down with lack of snowcover and warm temps. Sitting in a tree in these conditions is almost torture for me since I like cold and snow for gun hunting.

The last few years I have been getting into snow tracking more due to very low deer numbers and trying to make something happen instead of waiting on stand for deer that are not there anymore. Finding that tracking is more my style for the gun season and want to take it to the next level continuing to learn along the way. I really enjoy this and can't get enough reading the Benoit and Hal Blood stuff soaking up everything I can. My regret is that I didn't get into this many years ago when I was much younger. Never too old to learn a new trick I suppose.

I'm actually thinking about skipping opening weekend and waiting for better conditions later near Thanksgiving or during the muzzleloader season after the hunting pressure drops way down. For me that's tough to give up on traditional deer camp but seems to be the direction I'm gradually going over the years. Tough to break out on your own but sometimes needed to grow as a hunter.

Wondering if anybody else is headed down this road? I know we have quite a few guys that have been tracking with success for quite some time like Magic Man. Interested how others feel about ditching treestands and taking up tracking instead. I really think it's a lost art that very few do anymore and needs to be carried on for future generations.

Definitely an interest. Found a great bed last year by following tracks to it. Didn't put 2 and 2 together to know that's where he was heading, but it confirmed suspicions.

No snow in upper MN for it this year either.

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:42 pm

It's all about camp for me for gun season. We hunt the Nicolet sonit definitely isn't for the deer hunting! I do like gun season more when there is snow on the ground.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:53 am

I have been trying to learn to track and still hunt more and more each year...

Like you said its practically a lost art..

I'm far from GOOD at it...

I wish we typically had snow during our gun season..its hit or miss..even flintlock season after Christmas is hit or miss...

I especially like it when it's bitter cold and sitting isn't going to go well..and I do see deer..probably more than if I'd stand hunt when there is no pressure moving deer around..

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:11 am

It's on my radar that is for sure, like you I have read the books and want to try it out even just to learn how the bucks travel. I use to and still do track bucks in our area just to learn things about their travel, its always fun. I gave tracking a go once or twice but nothing really serious yet as I didn't have all day to go after them. Opening weekend gun season might be a rough road, even in the remote places I hunt I would eventually run into someone so I like your plan to wait until the pressure dies down and the snow starts to fly.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:07 am

I found myself getting antsy/frustrated tracking in previous years. Maybe I'm so used to the treestand I think in the back of my head walking around is pointless. Last year was perfect for this in the northwoods, we had a fresh snow pretty early in the week. I came across a big, fresh track driving down an old logging road. I started to follow it and stayed on it for quite some time. I ended up walking through a camp ground near a lake, and eventually had to stop when the tracks led me to private land. Unless something changes fast, it'll be a totally different season this year. 2 or 3 years back I walked right across a lake to follow a big set of tracks!
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:34 am

At my family's place in the Adirondacks the deer densities are so low that tracking really is the best option for getting on a big buck. Plus, I hunt really hard with a bow in farmland during the rut, so getting down out of the tree and stretching the legslater in the season is a welcome change. I really love tracking but if it doesn't start to get colder here in the NE, there won't be any snow on the ground before the season ends.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:11 am

I know it's a personal thing giving up the commaraderie of a hunting camp. I hunted mule deer in eastern Montana with a group of very close friends that no longer bowhunted. It was the only way to share our passion for hunting. Even though I pretty much went my own way and did my own thing during the day. The memories shared around camp were priceless. Something I thoroughly miss.

I know it's more costs involved but if it were me. I'd head up for opening weekend with the guys. If no snow head home. Then head back up later.

I know it's even farther out. Muzzleloader season. But I'd look at the weather forecast for those days. There is still a good chance with the odd weather we've experienced the last decade that there won't be snow then either.

If you decide to stay with the old deer camp all gun season there is still no reason to spend all your time on a stand. Get out and still hunt different bedding areas. Move faster in areas between them if you feel the chance of seeing a buck are slim to none. Maybe try calling and rattling when first approaching these bedding areas before moving on into them.

The 2 gunkills I made in my northern Wisconsin area came by doing something similar to what I said above. Granted they weren't monsters but both were very enjoyable experiences.

I tried snowtracking bull elk in Montana. Though I only caught up to 1. Then blew the shoot opputunity. It stll taught me alot about where the animals lived.

So if you do take up snowtracking realize that success isn't always a kill. But what you learn for future reference. Plus it's never boring because you always feel that you'll find the animal making the tracks around the next bend or over the next hill.

Good luck Dewey whatever choice you make.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:33 am

Great perspective, stash!

Let's say we end up with no snow. How do you feel about walking rather than stand hunting? You may not have a track to follow but would you focus in on certain areas to walk based on terrain or previous experience?
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:43 am

Justin, that's called still hunting.

Basically moving verrrrry slowly and glassing and trying to spot them before they spot you...I do it just above the thermal tunnel and do pretty well..that elevation keeps me just below the top of the hill so I'm not skylined and offers me a good few down the hillside.

Not a pro...but I am trying to learn...

Knowing where bucks bed and applying that knowledge helps a lot...I've killed a buck that sprang from his bed while still hunting...didn't have direct knowledge of THAT bed but have moved bedded bucks from that area in the past...I knew enough to have my gun nearly ready...

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:10 am

Had no snow more times than with snow. By the end of early bow season I was kinda burnt out on sitting stands. With the extra range capabilities with a gun I figured I'd still have an edge on the ground. I'm a poor still hunter. Hard for me to slow it down for a longer period of time. So I just kind of wandered trying to keep the wind in my favor.

With the knowledge from the Beast I'd now concentrate more on transition areas. And not just the hard obvious transitions but softer transitions also. Like the change from hardwoods to softwoods. Newer growth to older growth. Little pockets of higher ground. My area was pretty flat. But had some small knobs sticking up 3'-5' higher.

I'd also now try to approach suspected bedding with where in the bedding they may be. Based on wind direction.

And if you kick one up don't be afraid to run after it right away for a short distance. One of my kills came by doing this. He jumped up and was gone behind the cover of one of these small knobs. I ran up onto the knob and caught him pussy footing it only 60 yards away. Heading into the swamp/marsh. I missed the first shot but that stopped him. So I had a easier standing still broadside shot for the second.

He was a very nice 2.5 YO 8. It was only the 3rd deer I saw in those 5 days of hunting. Both small 1.5 YO's were the others. One of which I saw about an hour earlier. Had him at 5 steps.

This is in an area with only 8-10 deer per square mile. But I found the core area of prime habitat back in where no one else went. So it held more deer than the average for the area. But it was still about 3 square miles of country. So finding the deer still wasn't easy without snow.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:35 am

Last year after a very uneventful opening day I hit the ground for some snow tracking. Didn't take long and I found a large single set of tracks in a remote area and started slowly following them. To make a long story short I ended up catching up with and almost getting a shot at one of the biggest northwoods bucks I have ever seen after I jumped him out of his bed. That was exciting and felt unbelievable to do that in an area we haven't seen a big buck from stand in many years. That encounter by me ended up being the only buck seen in our camp last year. Granted large tracks will not always mean big racks especially in the north but you can bet with a four finger track you are dealing with a mature animal. I love knowing that there is a good deer ahead of me instead of sitting on stand just hoping one may appear. Stand hunting in areas of high density works great but in extreme low population I feel I'm just setting myself up for disappointment.

I agree tracking on opening day may not be a good time but hunting pressure is way down due to being buck only so there are still large pockets to get away from people. I need to seek out different areas in the future in much more remote areas. Thinking the UP or Northern MN may be better suited for this. Two years ago I did some snow tracking with the bow up in Sylvania Wilderness and it was a very rewarding experience. Being 3-4 miles back in never seeing another person and enjoying wilderness at it's finest while hunting solo made me feel more alive than ever in my life. Played cat & mouse with a few bucks all week and they taught me a ton.Looking forward to doing more of this in the future. 8-)
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:58 am

Dewey wrote:Last year after a very uneventful opening day I hit the ground for some snow tracking. Didn't take long and I found a large single set of tracks in a remote area and started slowly following them. To make a long story short I ended up catching up with and almost getting a shot at one of the biggest northwoods bucks I have ever seen after I jumped him out of his bed. That was exciting and felt unbelievable to do that in an area we haven't seen a big buck from stand in many years. That encounter by me ended up being the only buck seen in our camp last year. Granted large tracks will not always mean big racks especially in the north but you can bet with a four finger track you are dealing with a mature animal. I love knowing that there is a good deer ahead of me instead of sitting on stand just hoping one may appear. Stand hunting in areas of high density works great but in extreme low population I feel I'm just setting myself up for disappointment.

I agree tracking on opening day may not be a good time but hunting pressure is way down due to being buck only so there are still large pockets to get away from people. I need to seek out different areas in the future in much more remote areas. Thinking the UP or Northern MN may be better suited for this. Two years ago I did some snow tracking with the bow up in Sylvania Wilderness and it was a very rewarding experience. Being 3-4 miles back in never seeing another person and enjoying wilderness at it's finest while hunting solo made me feel more alive than ever in my life. Played cat & mouse with a few bucks all week and they taught me a ton.Looking forward to doing more of this in the future. 8-)

That's the crux of it all. For it to work well you need to be in at least what I call semi-wilderness areas. Being in this kind of country is a reward in itself. Even if I never cut a single track.

When you do find one to follow it's a great sense of accomplishment. When you jump him from his bed. Even if you never fire a shot!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:01 am

Bump

Any others getting started on tracking? Also would like to hear from the experienced guys about what tactics you use during seasons with no snow?
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:19 am

Dewey wrote:Bump

Any others getting started on tracking? Also would like to hear from the experienced guys about what tactics you use during seasons with no snow?

I know where your coming from Dewey. Your a hardcore deer hunter for sure and want all the info you can get.

But knowing you've read stuff from the Benoits and Hal Blood. I know you have a good background of info in your brain already. As well as you do with other tactics you apply. The jump to tracking should come natural to you. All you need now is some experiences to build your own style and confidence.

I have complete faith in you picking up on this quickly. Sounds to me that in the area you'll be hunting. Finding the right track will be the hard part.

Just get after it!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”