Opening day of gun season setups?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Opening day of gun season setups?

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:25 am

What are some of the most productive hill country setups for opening day in hill county...public land..high pressure?

I always DEER hunted opening day...I've had openers I seen well over 100 deer...I was looking for a mature buck and just not seeing them...

Thinking the big bucks aren't running with the groups of doe and such once the lead starts flying???

I can't decide what to do...could rifle hunt the spot I've had 2 big buck encounters this archery season..

Could hunt at camp..behind camp..

Or pick a spot on public land at camp and go in and see what happens and still hunt if it doesn't pan out...

Dad had a spot on public land every season him or his buddy seen/got a shot at a big buck...neither will be hunting there this year...I'm not sure I can find the exact spot though..

Wondering what you guys look for to get on a big buck opening day once the lead starts flying...

I have a few archery hunts left..but gotta start planning for the gun season...I think I gotta change things if I wanna kill a bigger buck..

[ Post made via Android ] Image

fishlips
500 Club

Re: Opening day of gun season setups?

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:44 am

Can't say I have a pile of big bucks to back this up, but my best luck and sightings have been in thick tough to access spots or overlooked spots.

My first sit this year depending on wind is going to be an overlooked spot. If that doesn't pan out, I am diving into the thick stuff. Where I hunt, there is kind of a weird mix of terrain with a trail system through it so some people will certainly walk 2+ miles to a spot, but set up less than 200 yards from the trail. So there is kind of a buffer zone where people aren't hunting that seems to produce my best sightings.

Again, I am no expert, just stating what I have observed where I hunt.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Thanx!

Kind of why I wanna get away from the lease I think...its probably MORE shot up than public land..more does..less bucks..less big bucks..

And although not "allowed" I seem to draw the o my quads to my location..its hunted harder than public ground right down the road...

Nice being able to walk out back and have the camp comrodity and all that...but at the same time hello g others drag and going back for lunch and all that can eat into my day..

I usually pack a lunch and don't leave my game plan u less someone got one hit and REALLY needs help...

I work the day before and after...camp or home it doesn't matter...its about the same distance to-from work...

Could hunt the spot I've had 2 different big buck encounters here at home and hope I have a 3rd..chances are like likeld that they can't out-trick the ole 280rem like they did the bow...

Pressure at home is far less..but I do love opening morning in the big woods when the hills echo with volleys of gun fire...

We'll see...I'm liming the idea of going in semi-blind on public land then still hunting the day away after 10am or whatever..

I can work the high edge or the mountain Laurel and probably stay into deer pretty well..

WSalzNC

Unread postby WSalzNC » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:21 pm

mauser06 wrote:
..but I do love opening morning in the big woods when the hills echo with volleys of gun fire...

We'll see...I'm liming the idea of going in semi-blind on public land then still hunting the day away after 10am or whatever..

Me too Mauser... I'm going to pack a sandwich, take my turkey hunting chair, and hope to see something new. Good luck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:50 pm

My opening day gun season setup is a 35 Whelen. lol

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Lol....I will be toting my whelens little sister in 280rem. The whelen has a buck or 2...the 280 doesnt...

I can't decide...big woods or camp or home in the spot I've seen 2 shooters just out of archery reach.

Maybe I will let weather decide...or something... Lol

Maybe I will kill one in the next/last days I archery hunt and won't have the decision to make!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:36 pm

tHINK ABOUT WHERE YOU WOULD HIDE IF ALL THOSE GUYS DRESSED LIKE PUMPKINS WERE TRYING TO KILL YOU.... When I do that, I usually kill a big buck in the spot I would hide... Find the over looked spot. Don't think big. Look for a tight little small area where no one goes.
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:19 pm

dan wrote:tHINK ABOUT WHERE YOU WOULD HIDE IF ALL THOSE GUYS DRESSED LIKE PUMPKINS WERE TRYING TO KILL YOU.... When I do that, I usually kill a big buck in the spot I would hide... Find the over looked spot. Don't think big. Look for a tight little small area where no one goes.

I think this just made my day!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”