Recovering mentally from a miss/bad hit---Buck Fever

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hauntedwaters

Recovering mentally from a miss/bad hit---Buck Fever

Unread postby Hauntedwaters » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:15 am

How do you guys recover mentally from a miss or a bad hit? I twice missed a deer last year at an embarrassing close distance (he gave me two shots). This year, I got two shots at another deer. Missed the first time at 20 yards (deflection) and made a shoulder hit at 30. Blood trail was spotty for a long distance then was gone. We have seen the deer since and he is alive.

Both deer I shot at were exceptionally nice deer. This was clearly a case of buck fever/target panic. I went back to the range the next day and was spot on with my equipment and shooting. I am very confident in my ability to kill a target, but am struggling with confidence when the shot counts.

How do you mentally recover from missing a deer or making a poor shot? How can I become more accurate when I have the big shooter come in?

Just to be clear, I am not taking random or super technical shots through the tightest of spaces. I understand that I am inexperienced with killing a deer with a bow and am very very conservative with when I pull the trigger. I am drawn 10-30 seconds before the deer walks into a shooting lane.

Any advice/tips from the veterans would be very helpful. I'm heading out again this weekend and love to have some things to think on while mentally preparing. It is really really tough to miss lifetime bucks in consecutive years considering all the time and effort I put in to be ready for that moment.

Bucky

Re: Recovering mentally from a miss/bad hit---Buck Fever

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:19 am

Kill deer.... that the only way. Shoot does... small bucks until ur confidence builds

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:24 am

Drawing before you have a shot might be part of the problem... I know for me, accuracy degrades rapidly the longer I am drawn.... Not the case for everyone, but it is for me.

Also, think about where your arrows are hitting? Is the deer moving or are you flat out missing? Sometimes a set up can have a loud feather or broadhead and be heard coming by the buck.

If its really "panic" the best way to over come it is to shoot a lot so it happens almost automatically when a deer comes in... When I decide a deer is a shooter, shooting really never crosses my mind. I stair at the deer and suddenly an arrow goes thru it as if its sub-conscious.

Get back on the horse and keep trying and shoot a lot...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:24 am

Bucky wrote:Kill deer.... that the only way. Shoot does... small bucks until ur confidence builds

Yea... THATS A GREAT POINT.
Hauntedwaters

Unread postby Hauntedwaters » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:32 am

Great advice on both posts. Thanks.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:40 am

the less time i have to think the better shot i am. its almost like a reactionary skill that happens. you don't think, you just do it.

it makes no sense, it is something that is learned over time thru repetition. keep at it.

most important part is confidence and believe you can do it!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:55 am

Like they said keep at it. In my early years I missed alot. The 1st buck I ever killed with a bow was the 3rd deer I had a shot at that year. Missed 2 does. Shooting at and killing animals brings on tons of confidence. Buy some doe tags. If you can't use all the meat donate it to the hunters for hunger campaigne. Hunt for and try to shoot at least one doe early season before buck hunting. Taking an animal prior to hunting for more glamorous targets is a big confidence booster for the year.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:00 am

What I would do is practice draw on every scenario you think can happen in that set. Draw point and aim at every angle a buck could come from. This will better prepare you for the shot. Don't be afraid to move your feet to square up for the shot. Makes a huge difference in accuracy.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:11 am

All good tips. There are books on how athletes handle the pressure in competition.

Hauntedwaters

Unread postby Hauntedwaters » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:12 am

The intent on my equipment is to cut down on any possible "could go wrong" scenarios. I hunt with a Whisker Biscuit as I have had arrows come off a rest when drawing, a peep with the rubber tube attached so it straightens when I draw and a kisser button so I know I am anchored correctly. I don't shoot a 340 FPS bow with a 6" brace height or 80 lb draw. I intentionally set up this bow to be hunting friendly. Anything else I can add to ensure better accuracy at the kill shot? Maybe a sight with smaller pins or one of those IQ sights? Any other set up tips would be appreciated.

I clearly need to shoot some does. I have never killed a deer with my bow and have never even had a shot on a doe. As weird as it sounds, I have only had available shots on bucks. It sounds great in theory, but obviously need to get some confidence and experience. I passed on a ten pointer that was outside the ears earlier this year. I had multiple opportunities between 5 and 20 yards but passed. I didn't get nearly as nervous or adrenalized as I did when the deer I hit came in the next night. I should have taken that deer.
ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:30 am

Go out a shoot the first poor doe that comes along!! ( that's what I do anyways)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:20 am

I, like you setup a bow this year just for hunting. Mine was a light draw, moderate arrow and big COC broadhead. I have .10 pins and from what others say a small peep. I bought that bow last February and shot it until it was just like an extension of me. The light draw really helped me because it is so easy to pull and when I get it back I can hold forever to make sure I am on target before I release.

When I am hunting no matter what I treat any approaching deer as a shooter. I see movement and that bow is in my hand, release on and I am preparing for a shot. When the actual shot presents itself, I am 100% ready. Like the others have said, you gotta shoot some deer. Its the best way to get better at that moment.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:38 am

Don't be afraid to draw a couple times in the tree before settling down for the hunt.

Practice shooting from an elevated spot during the summer.

Trying getting your heart rate up an then taking the shot. (Running)

Be realistic about your shooting distances.

One of the most important things to me. Shoot for the exit on the deer. Don't just look at where you want to hit the deer. Look for where you want the arrow to exit at on the deer.

Buck fever is a controlled release of adrenaline . It is a wonderful thing.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:02 am

Run scenarios through your mind while on stand.

Ask yourself, "What if a deer comes from over there or from down there? How will I execute the shot when its time?"

Some will call it fantasizing, but in reality, its mentally preparing yourself for when the moment comes. That helps me.

Hit up some 3D shoots in the off-season too.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:14 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Run scenarios through your mind while on stand.

Ask yourself, "What if a deer comes from over there or from down there? How will I execute the shot when its time?"

Some will call it fantasizing, but in reality, its mentally preparing yourself for when the moment comes. That helps me.

Same thing I do. I range and memorize every possible spot a deer could appear and visualize the shot so if it happens I just go into kill mode. If the shot is not there I will never force the issue.........this is where things usually go terribly wrong if you do. You need to recognize that fine line. So many cross that line over and over never gaining the confidence they need to consistently kill.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”