Recovering mentally from a miss/bad hit---Buck Fever

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN Slick

Re: Recovering mentally from a miss/bad hit---Buck Fever

Unread postby MN Slick » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:37 am

I also agree that shooting animals is the best way to build confidence.

Note on shooting both eyes open while hunting. Lowlight conditions as well as having a bunch of branches etc. in my peripheral vision both cause my non dominant eye to take over the sight picture while hunting. It took me a couple strange missed shots to figure out what was happening including a comical miss at a good buck in 2016 that I literally shot 3 feet in front of at 16 yds after executing a perfect shot with a back tension release. My pin was burning a hole in his side and I was literally saying “destruction” as I was pulling through the shot….at least I thought my pin was burning a hole in him. However, my bow was actually pointed 3 feet in front the deer because my right eye took over the pin (I shoot lefty) but I didn’t realize it in the heat of the moment. Bow went off and I waited for him to drop but he never did. Finally saw my arrow in the ground and it was not in line with where the deer was standing. As I sat there stunned I finally figured out what happened and a number of other strange shots where I didn’t see my arrow after the bow went off and one buck I hit way farther back than I wanted to suddenly made sense.

Since that miss on 11/9/16 I’ve changed my pre shot routine and have 12 ringed 2 does, an antelope, and giant buck in November. Missing can be very beneficial if you can figure out why!!! I still shoot with both eyes open but now I keep one eye closed until my pin is on the spot then I open the eye and start the shot process. I used to just draw my bow back with both eyes open and put the pin on the target. Worked great in good light and at the range but not so good in the timber!!!!

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:22 am

concerning recovering from a bad shot, it is all a frame of mind. you can choose to beat yourself up for as long as you want. it hurts. its not fun but its also a choice as to how long you hold on to it.
2 monks are walking down the road. they come to a big puddle and a woman. one monk picks up the woman and carries her over the water. monks are not allowed ro have contact with women. back at the monistery the other monk says i cant believe you carried that woman over that puddle. the other monk replies i cant believe you carried her all the way back here.
i use this story im my own life. whrnever i find myself carrying something longer than i should. in the case of a bad shot on a deer, i ask myself how long should i beat myself up before letting it go.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:38 am

Bucky wrote:Kill deer.... that the only way. Shoot does... small bucks until ur confidence builds

[ Post made via Android ] Image

This, Mike

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”