Recovering mentally from a miss/bad hit---Buck Fever

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlog
500 Club

Re: Recovering mentally from a miss/bad hit---Buck Fever

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:25 am

I think everybody is a little different. What works for another guy might not work for you and vise versa. I think in your case shooting deer, any deer to gain confidence might be helpful. But it's probably not a cure all. I've shot my share of deer with a bow and just yesterday I rushed a shot and made a bad hit. Practice until your muscle memory takes over at the moment of truth and you don't have to think about it.

Getting over a bad shot isn't easy for me. I'm my own worst critic. But unless you're going to quit because of a miss, you have to go on.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:51 am

Can I ask where these misses are occurring? If they are consistently high, I would be willing to be you aren't bending at the waist. Early on in my hunting I chronically did this, and shot over a fair number of bucks. The other answer, is you may never get over some of the misses (there are a couple that I still replay often). If you are missing high, practice from a stand, a lot.

I also couldn't agree more with the shoot deer comment. You can only build true confidence by doing. Even a couple will be night and day. Maybe you will be lucky enough that it will finally happen on a big buck, but I wouldn't wait on that. Fill some tags, you will not regret it later on. I shot a small buck this year after I made a poor shot on a doe, a big part of it was to get some mojo back. Killed a decent 3.5 year old a couple of weeks after that.
ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:03 pm

The longer a deer is in front of me the calmer I get. I go from excited to asassian pretty quick.

Hauntedwaters

Unread postby Hauntedwaters » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:55 am

Kraftd wrote:Can I ask where these misses are occurring? If they are consistently high, I would be willing to be you aren't bending at the waist. Early on in my hunting I chronically did this, and shot over a fair number of bucks. The other answer, is you may never get over some of the misses (there are a couple that I still replay often). If you are missing high, practice from a stand, a lot.

I also couldn't agree more with the shoot deer comment. You can only build true confidence by doing. Even a couple will be night and day. Maybe you will be lucky enough that it will finally happen on a big buck, but I wouldn't wait on that. Fill some tags, you will not regret it later on. I shot a small buck this year after I made a poor shot on a doe, a big part of it was to get some mojo back. Killed a decent 3.5 year old a couple of weeks after that.

This is a really good question. One miss was to the left and under. One was under. Didn't see the third. I put lighted nocks on my arrows now so I can better see the arrow's flight for more information. You're 100% right. I need to shoot more out of an elevated position. I am going to find a Sportsman or Archery club that has elevated 3D shooting.
Hauntedwaters

Unread postby Hauntedwaters » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:01 am

Wlog wrote:I think everybody is a little different. What works for another guy might not work for you and vise versa. I think in your case shooting deer, any deer to gain confidence might be helpful. But it's probably not a cure all. I've shot my share of deer with a bow and just yesterday I rushed a shot and made a bad hit. Practice until your muscle memory takes over at the moment of truth and you don't have to think about it.

Getting over a bad shot isn't easy for me. I'm my own worst critic. But unless you're going to quit because of a miss, you have to go on.

I took my miss last year pretty hard because the deer was so ridiculously close and it was my first encounter with a real big guy up close and personal. This year's buck I was really bummed out on because I hit it and didn't recover the deer (for selfish reasons and because wounding and not killing a deer is being a crappy sportsman). Gladly, another guy saw the deer last weekend still alive and well.

You're completely right, though. Gotta get back in the tree or sell the bow. I will be back in the tree.

Wired 2 Hunt had a really good podcast about the "Darkside of the Rut" this week. About misses and disappointments and how to push forward. Gave some good perspective.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:24 am

I've been there , getting too excited and not focusing on the task of killing that deer. I find getting really angry when I do see a buck I want to shoot helps me focus on the proper alignment and shot . Seek and Destroy mentality at moment of truth . ;) .....I also like to draw my bow and aim into all possible shooting locations .

Hauntedwaters

Unread postby Hauntedwaters » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:33 am

E72 wrote:I've been there , getting too excited and not focusing on the task of killing that deer. I find getting really angry when I do see a buck I want to shoot helps me focus on the proper alignment and shot . Seek and Destroy mentality at moment of truth . ;) .....I also like to draw my bow and aim into all possible shooting locations .

That's a good tip. In my mind I always say "ok it's game time"; maybe I should start saying "It's go time Mother ****er". Always worked in my athletic career.
gunner24

Unread postby gunner24 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:14 am

A few things that have helped me make a better shooter when the moment counts. because we can all hit where we want to all day long when we are practicing or at the range.

1.) run around get your heart rate up then shoot as mentioned before. this does help.

2.) practice atleast a few times a week during hunting season. this helps keep confidence up, and confidence with the bow is what you need when you are in the field.

3.) start shooting with both eyes open instead of closing your non dominant eye. this opens up your field of view. When you shoot close distances at deer and are closing one eye sometimes all you will see is the brown body of the deer in your sight, and you may not exactly know what part of the deer you have your pin on in the heat of the moment. when you have both eyes open, you can see so much more! including the whole body of the deer, if he's moving, what pace, so on so forth. This was the single best attribute (for me) out in the field for making better shots on deer.

stay positive and keep at it. confidence is key.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:18 am

Bucky wrote:Kill deer.... that the only way. Shoot does... small bucks until ur confidence builds

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Exactly what I was going to say, having worked at a processing place for years I heard many stories of guys "holding out" when time came they were overwhelmed having no "killers confidence" the only way is to set aside the trophy mentality and prove to yourself a few times "I can do this."

Hauntedwaters

Unread postby Hauntedwaters » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:21 am

gunner24 wrote:A few things that have helped me make a better shooter when the moment counts. because we can all hit where we want to all day long when we are practicing or at the range.

1.) run around get your heart rate up then shoot as mentioned before. this does help.

2.) practice atleast a few times a week during hunting season. this helps keep confidence up, and confidence with the bow is what you need when you are in the field.

3.) start shooting with both eyes open instead of closing your non dominant eye. this opens up your field of view. When you shoot close distances at deer and are closing one eye sometimes all you will see is the brown body of the deer in your sight, and you may not exactly know what part of the deer you have your pin on in the heat of the moment. when you have both eyes open, you can see so much more! including the whole body of the deer, if he's moving, what pace, so on so forth. This was the single best attribute (for me) out in the field for making better shots on deer.

Does opening up both eyes change how my pins are set up? I have always shot gun and bow with one eye closed.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:23 am

I would recommend some non-game shooting like hogs or predators.

gunner24

Unread postby gunner24 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:43 am

Hauntedwaters wrote:
gunner24 wrote:A few things that have helped me make a better shooter when the moment counts. because we can all hit where we want to all day long when we are practicing or at the range.

Does opening up both eyes change how my pins are set up? I have always shot gun and bow with one eye closed.

It should not change how your pins are set up, but you will want to practice the new method a lot before you convert. Like I said before, practice so much your confidence is all time high. You would not want to just go out in the field and open up both eyes on your next shot. take it to the range first. It's going to take some getting used to, and it will feel awkward at first, but in the end I think you will be very happy with the switch.
okeweemee

Unread postby okeweemee » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:59 am

Assuming it is mental (which you state) the worst thing you can to is to stay focused on taking the next shot.
Spend your time worrying about getting the shot and dont agonize over being able to make the shot.

If You think about missing all week then that is exactly what you'll get on your next shot.
I never consider missing and once i decide i will shoot i cant even recall the details of the shot. I may miss but it's not in dread of missing.

it is hard enough to get in postion to kill deer like you are seeing, the shot should be the easy part.

Think in those terms and you'll be fine. It's not rocket science shooting one.

The science is in fooling one.
sethg

Unread postby sethg » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:51 am

I was a pitcher at a high level recently. I treated my bullpen sessions just like a game as far as mentality. That way when I got in a game, nothing changed for me mentally.

I do the same thing bowhunting. My practice sessions (especially close to the season) usually reflect a hunting situation. Sometimes I practice elevated off the roof of the shed. Many times I only shoot one arrow (learned this trick from Levi Morgan), so you gotta make it count. I also practice drawing and holding for a long time, and then shooting. On the flip side, I'll practice drawing and shooting quick. I practice making a "merp" to stop the deer, and then shooting. I try and practice every scenario leading up to the season. Realistically, in a tree with a shooter coming in, you don't need to be thinking about 20 different things that you have to do. You need a 3-4 step routine you do every shot, mentally, all summer long.... so when moment of truth comes, it all happens automatic. Its like a mental checklist that becomes second nature.

Another thing that I do when I get in the stand (especially without shooting lanes prepped... ie public land), is I practice drawing in those shooting lanes, and making a mental picture of where a big buck could be standing and where I can get a clean shot off at. This helps a lot also... someone above mentioned this and I agree with them.

Once you drill all that into your mental and physical routine, then like Dan said, you won't even know what you're doing until you see the arrow zip through the boiler room. Hang in there, but don't keep practicing like you do now. Make you practice session like a hunting situation... then you'll be ready for the moment of truth!!!!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:06 am

The best advice I have for in the field scenarios is the plan everything out in your head, such as:
If the deer goes this way, I'll have an "X" yard shot so I need to adjust my pin to this.. I'll need to move my cameras to here when....

I find that planning everything out in my head keeps me from really "focusing" only on the deer and psyching myself out. All that adrenaline begins to really make or break you and I find that it's the moments leading up to drawing your bow that will ultimately decided how the shot is carried out.

If I am all "amped up" I feel the need to rush my shots, get target panic and that awful "shoot now!" voice comes into plan
Whereas if I take it slow and methodical and plan everything out mentally I'm calm until I hit the release, then the adrenaline pours out and the shakes come.

The more deer you see and shoot at the better things will be, just stay focused towards whatever personal goals you have set for yourself.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”